Sign in to follow this  
GRONG

September bull hunt, big 7x4

I haven't been on here in quite a while due to super busy work and some good ol elk hunting going on.

I got an archery bull tag this year and made the best of it with my best hunting buddy Isaac. On the 2nd wknd of the hunt my good friend Chris Gravatt, Isaac and I snuck up a slope listening to a bull occasionally bugling. Chris kept cow calling and the bull wouldn't budge so I left my pack and stalked in on him not knowing which bull I was going in on. I crept through the brush and thick trees and after about 150 yards I got my first look at him when I realized he wouldn't budge cause he was bedded. I could see his massive 7pt side up above the grass at about 40 yards and I snuck till I was around 25 yards. I bet I stood there for 15 minutes and he never knew I was even there. He had 2 cows with him and one of them fed in front of him and he finally got up and followed her. She fed straight at me at about 20 yards before she saw me standing there in the shade of some trees. She said oh heck no and walked up the slope. He turned broadside and as I was pressing on the release he took a quick step to follow her and I hit him high in the guts. I thought OH NO as I put another arrow on as fast as I could. He never knew what was even up and took a few more steps up the slope after his cow. He walked perfectly under a tree enough for me to see his vitals and he stopped at 25 yards. My Muzzy took his heart out and he took a couple wobbly steps and face planted! I couldn't believe it!!!! Chris and Isaac quickly came up to join me to celebrate. This was a special bull to me because I hunted this bull solely last year and just couldn't make it happen (Yes I had 2 tags in a row amazingly) and I went home empty handed but Isaac and I made some fantastic memories together and his passion for hunting was just getting started. This year the bull was just a little bit bigger too which was nice. Left side measures 185" and I didn't even attempt to measure the goofy side.

Thanks for lookin,

Josh

post-3-0-09374700-1445313624_thumb.jpg

post-3-0-68152100-1445314458_thumb.jpg

post-3-0-20076000-1445314595_thumb.jpg

post-3-0-89352100-1445314703_thumb.jpg

post-3-0-29340400-1445314890_thumb.jpg

We got back to our quads late that night. Isaac sacked out soon as his butt hit the seat of the quad while we got all the meat on Chris' quad and I got all our gear and the head on mine. Great times and great memories.

• Like 24

Finally you posted this story!

Love that bull and so cool that Isaac was able to be with you. Congrats my friend.

Great story and nice bull. Very cool you had some history with him also.

Thanks for sharing.

What a great bull love the character. You don't see that very often. Sounds like it was an awsome stock as well. good job and

Thanks for sharing the story. Time to get the barby out. barbecue.gif

Didn't you kill a giant bull a couple of years ago too? You must be a tag drawing machine. Congrats on an awesome bull. That 7 point side is freaking sweet.