Smith2260

My son's elk and deer 2015

My 13 year old son drew a cow tag and a deer tag this year. He has had a great 2015 year. Him and his sister killed pigs in February (his 4th). He shot a big turkey in April. Killed his second elk in October. Then killed his second muley last week (his 4th buck in AZ). He is a great shot and has really grown into a great hunter. He proved his patience this month...

Mom and little sister spotted for us from across the valley. We got on elk quick with their help. He laid in the rocks for about 30 minutes with a big bull screaming at his cows before he could shoot. He waited for a good broadside shot and did well. Then packed about 40 pounds of his elk meat out over a mile! Mom and sister made the hike up to us to make a one trip pack out.

He had basketball on Thursday before his deer hunt opened, so we left home at 9pm and drove all night to make the opener. He passed a smaller buck first thing, then I found his buck in his bed. He did not have a good view of the vitals, so we watched him for 3 hours before he stood. Of course he stood facing us, then quartering to us, then finally broadside, I heard the safety click off... Then the buck bedded again! My boy rolled over and said,"Are you serious!" We laughed for a little while and his buck took a nice nap for another hour. Finally he stood and turned slightly quartering away and he dropped him at 313yds!

His season is over, now he gets to be the spotter for some coues hunts!

post-6097-0-43577200-1446048436_thumb.jpegpost-6097-0-64766800-1446048465_thumb.jpegpost-6097-0-36586100-1446048528_thumb.jpegpost-6097-0-12398000-1446048568_thumb.jpegpost-6097-0-78768200-1446048668_thumb.jpeg

• Like 17

WOW! Looks like a fantastic year!

Great job dad. Your son will remember these hunts for the rest of his life.

WOW! congrats to the young hunter,,,and on a side note that is probably the coolest pig kill pick I've seen.