Sign in to follow this  
codyhuntsaz

Buy or build

so I've been kicking around the idea of buying a long range rifle for a while. I'd like to comfortably be able to shoot 500-660 yards and over time reach out to 1000. Here is my question....option 1. I own a Remington 700 ADL in .270. Should I build off of that action with a new stock, barrel and trigger? I don't know much at all about guns as I'm mostly a bow hunter, but I look forward to learning through this process. Excuse my ignorance , but can I turn a .270 action into a .300 win mag? That will be my long range caliber of choice. Assuming I put on a $300 stock, $300 barrel, $150ish trigger then pay a gunsmith $200-$400 dollars to put on the barrel,trigger and muzzle brake I'm into the build for around $1000. Does that sound about right? Or option 2...buy a new savage long range hunter in 300 win mag. It already has the aftermarket stock, better trigger than I'm used to, heavy barrel and muzzle brake. I can get into one of those for under $1000. Option 3.... Buy a Remington 700 long range. Those retail for $699. It has a good aftermarket stock, heavy barrel, and again a better trigger than I'm used to. It would need a brake put on so with that cost plus a new trigger if I don't like the factory one I'm guessing that would put me right around the $1000 mark. Look forward to your guys opinions on here.

I went with a sendero in 7 mag and im pretty happy. Im about $2500.00 into it : rifle, trigger, scope, rings, shade, lense covers, sling and case.

Optics, optics, optics. Practice, practice, practice.

I would rather have a mediocre rifle and good optics, than a $5K rifle with a scope that won't track and I can't see the target. If it is not repeatable, it is junk unless you plan to shoot at 100-200 forever.

Keep the .270 for now, load some 150 NABLR, buy the best glass you can afford ($1000-1500 minimum) in some good rings and base/mount ($200-500), and learn to shoot. The .270 Win is PLENTY capable to shoot to 600+, and even 1000 yrds in the right hands. I can shoot my .25-06 Ackley and 115 HVLDs to 1K easily. The added BC of the 150 NABLR will help a lot.

Upgrade the trigger next ($150-250), then the stock ($300-1500). By that time, you will be 50% to a semi-custom already. Then buy a good quality barrel (Bartlein, Brux, Rock Creek, Kreiger from $350-700) and have a smith true the action and chamber it for you ($400-700). The time spent practicing will net you better results than just buying a LR rig and expecting to hit at 1000 yards every time. But to get the most out of ANY LR rig, you will need to hand load. And that is a whole other can of worms and money.

You can re-chamber to anything in the .30-06 line that would be suitable for shots to 1000 (6.5-06 AI, .280 Rem, .280 AI, .30-06 AI etc.) or change the bolt/have a gunsmith alter the bolt face from .473" to .532" and open up the options to include any of the magnum cartridges (.264 WM, 7 RM, 7STW, .300 WM etc.).

• Like 2

I bought instead of build a Sako 85 LRH in 338 Lapua supposed to be the best out of the box brand and it shoots well. about$2500 I shot 1/2 pound tanerite at 320 last weekend and if I did my job it was a first shot hit. The half pound tannerite is about a 2"x2" target so it is sub moa. The action is very smooth on it. The only drawback I see is proprietary scope mounts.

If I was to do another one i would build it out of some 700 rem action and let the gunsmith do his work.

My other gun is a BDL rem 700 in 270 and it is a great gun.

Lance is spot on. The .270 is more than capable to do anything you describe. The truth is you have to spend a lot of money to out run a good ol fashioned .270, it really is over looked these days because people are always chasing the bigger louder higher BC cartridges. Load a good 150gr bullet and you can pretty much hunt anything in North America with it. It may not be new and sexy but it will dang sure get the job done.

• Like 1

Lance, here is where it gets confusing for a novice like myself....to do the "work" you described to the .270 I currently own would cost $1,500 ($200 trigger, $400 stock, $400 barrel and $500 gunsmith). Would that gun be that much better than an out of the box Remington 700 long range for $700..$900 with brake put on or $900ish for a savage long range hunter? I don't just think it's as easy as buying a gun and hitting the gong at 1000 yds. I will put in the work, but I want the best starting point I can get.

Cody,

I think your .270 is a good start for what you are describing. I don't know if you live close to where you hunt but if you do, you might find the following interesting. Acquire a 7" plate and set it up out where you hunt in the 600-700 range (its always cool to hear the bullet hit the steel). If you can find a large box (the bigger the better) to set up behind your target setup, you will be able to see your misses if that happens. Then using your rifle with the ammunition you use hunting, take the shot. Take another right away. How did you do?

Now, I personally think it is worthwhile replicating this again. You have a good opportunity to put your rifle down and go take a look at your target. If you walk, by the time you get back 10-15 minutes will hopefully have elapsed and you are getting back to cold bore conditions. Let them fly again. Again, how did things go?

Several years ago I got into long range stuff and once you you start it...how does that saying go?

I am just starting to get into long range shooting so I have zero knowledge to offer you, but I will give you my setup. Savage LRH in 300 win mag, scope base xtreme hardcore gear 20 moa picatinny rail, xtreme hardcore ranger rings (30mm) vortex 6x24x50 viper pst scope in first focal plane & harris bipod. I got a smoking deal on the Savage LRH $675.00 brand new out the door. Same gun shop has for $1035 before tax & fees now. I jumped on that rifle when I seen the price cuz I know what they retail for. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but going to soon. I have about $1800 into it.

What Lance said. You HAVE to have a good scope. Start with the rifle you have and see what you can do with it. Next start reloading if you don't already. If these 2 steps don't get you where you want to be, you can always move the good scope to a new or custom rifle when the funds permit.

• Like 1

Scope and reloading set up first

Then the rifle

Personally if I had to buy a new rifle I go to the pawn shop or scour the online forums for a savage action and put it together myself.

• Like 2

Spending the $1400 in upgrades should definitely get you a better gun than a stock Rem 700 LR or Savage LRH. Much better trigger, same or better quality stock, much better barrel, trued action and the ability to choose whatever cartridge you want from mild to wild, bedding if you want, and the opportunity to do whatever color, shape, barrel contour & twist rate, etc. Plus, you can do the trigger and stock installation yourself. Spending a little here and there always seems easier than dropping big money all at once. And you can usually see the difference each component makes.

I have a savage LRH in .338 Lapua with a Burris Veracity scope and high dollar rings and base. In it for about $2500 minus reloading stuff. It shoots excellent. 1/4 MOA accuracy

• Like 2