Sign in to follow this  
WHT_MTNMAN

Dream Mountain Goat Hunt!!

Ever since I was a young man, I wanted to "see and hunt the world". Mountain Goat, Dall Sheep, Kodiak Brown bear were on that list. This year I was able to head to AK after mountain goat. Specifically Kodiak Island. It was an awesome trip and a great time. After many hours on many different planes we landed at our base camp, immediately we took off for spike camp almost 4 hours away, since another storm was moving in. I had great hopes of shooting a goat with my bow, but because of the time off work, and expense, I was not going to come home empty handed if at all possible. After almost 4 days of sitting in a tent in the fog, snow, rain, hail I decided if the weather would cooperate I would use the guides gun to shoot a goat. I packed my bow everywhere and could have shot a nanny if I had so desired.

Finally the weather cooperated and I shot this billy in very cold conditions. Nothing burns up there at all so we had to suffer without a fire or anything to keep us warm except for hiking and warm liquids. Almost 15 hours of dark made for some long days.

I had a insight on this hunt that I would like to share, If you don't care than just skip to the pictures, they are pretty cool. ;)

I realized that all those vast, hopes and dreams of hunting all over the world have left me, all of the great hunts that I could sacrifice to go on, no longer draw me. I have come to realize the sacrifice to do these hunts have taken me away from the things I love most:

1. My family, as much as enjoyed this hunt, until my children are gone, very few of these hunts will be in my schedule, it was tough, dangerous and I worried almost daily about my life insurance, my family being taken care of etc... this may sound trite but for me it was the truth. My young family is such that I am still needed, maybe not wanted all the time but needed. :)

2. hunting, helping friends and family on hunts etc... I missed my yearly helping a buddy on some elk hunts, one of my real good friends had a Coues hunt we were excited about and I was only able to help scout one time. (I took a bear and felt selfish about that) So far I missed many other hunts that I normally would have done because I felt I needed to work as much as possible before I left to AK. I sacrificed a great hunt in Wy again because I had limited amount of time.

All that being said, now that I have been successful in taking a Mountain Goat next time it will be archery or nothing. At least that is what I'm thinking now. :)

Base camp I only spent the last night in. Warm stove was awesome!!

IMG_20151114_090135399_HDR_zps2nnj27tv.j

IMG_20151110_132936216_zpsqvsqvb3z.jpg

IMG_20151110_123616980_HDR_zps8otn9uk9.j

IMG_20151110_123607045_zpsmrxtgedv.jpg

IMG_20151111_165137419_zpskppmdqd0.jpg

IMG_20151114_121858761_zpsln1finyl.jpg

IMG_20151114_100634964_HDR_zpsu3eeetz3.j

IMG_20151112_171652225_zpstwixjxq2.jpg

IMG_20151112_171251821_zpshyhx8qpw.jpg

IMG_20151112_171207232_zpsmehlsq36.jpg

On the way down.

IMG_20151113_114756146_HDR_zpsvehzzfag.j

IMG_20151113_114905642_HDR_zpsjfsii2d9.j

Great hunt with some great friends!!!

• Like 24

Loved seeing this on Facebook, sounds like a tough but great hunt. Thank you for sharing your insights. To me, your priorities are right where they should be.

Again, congratulations!

• Like 2

Congratulations on a hunt of a lifetime! Thanks for sharing your pics! Awesome goat man, you did great! Looks COLD!

• Like 1

dream hunt is correct. congratulations on the hunt. looks like a big billy

• Like 1

dang that is crazy. congrats on an amazing hunt! that's on my bucket list! Amazing terrain

• Like 1

Awesome pics and great story. I'd be worried about my life insurance as well that's some pretty unforgiving terrain.

• Like 1

Congrats on the hunt! A longhaired billy is at the top of my list so I am a little envious!

• Like 1

Thank you for sharing your insights. To me, your priorities are right where they should be.

Again, congratulations!

I could have stopped after reading your insights. I haven't been on a dream hunt like that, but I share the same feelings. I've walked away from hunting an afternoon/evening up here within 15 minutes of my house because I didn't want to leave a badminton game with my wife and kids (when they were younger).

Mt goat and Dall sheep are still high on my bucket list and the pics made it better. Congrats on a great hunt and billy!

• Like 1

Beautiful country, but looks to cold for me! Congrats on getting your goat!

• Like 1

That is really bad butt..I love the great pictures and the terrain looked unforgivingly beautiful...Congrats!!-- Nate

• Like 1

Congrats Houston! I love this write up... I have been there.... My dall hunt had the same ending and the same dashed hopes with a bow... The fear of one slip, one rock giving way, I nearly got hurt bad.... I can feel your emotions in your words and they are all true... but know this... the memories span a lifetime, and you gotta do some of these whilst you are young enough. Cheers, Pal! Thank You for sharing!!

• Like 2

Wow! Congratulations and thanks for sharing the hunt with us! And how very cool for you to share your insights about the hunt and it's impact on your family....a sign of true maturity! I am glad you got to go on the hunt and am also glad you made it home safe and sound to be with your family :)

• Like 1