Sign in to follow this  
WHT_MTNMAN

Dream Mountain Goat Hunt!!

I don't know what to say! What's greater than saying Wow!? Congrats

• Like 1

Great job Houston! I just scratched that one off my bucket list, don't know if I could handle the cold weather 😊. Great write up!

• Like 1

What a great adventure! Nothing wrong keeping yourself grounded to family priorities. Congrats!

• Like 1

Great goat and it looks like it was well deserved. I have thought a lot about the same things you have through the years. The only problem that I have is that now that my kids are out of high school and mostly self sufficient is that I am almost 50 years old and those hunts are hard on our bodies. I think the best way to do it is a little of both. I try to spend a good split amount of time hunting and family activities to make everyone happy.

• Like 1

Awesome! dang it looks cold!

• Like 1

Congratulations, great goat.

I know what you are saying. I am probably a similar age and at a similar point in life to you. I went Tur hunting in Azerbaijan 2 years ago and thought about a lot of the same things you mentioned. One slip and it would have been all over.

I still plan to go on my bucket list hunts. Driving on the highway is probably just as dangerous.

• Like 1

I am fairly used to the cold the biggest problem for me was the long periods of laying in my sleeping bag. 15+ hours of dark, no fire, no chair,blowing wind and snow about drove me crazy. Yes Conor I am getting old. :).

Thanks everyone it really was a dream come true.

• Like 1

Awesome write up, wonderful pictures, stud goat! Congratulations Houston! Very very cool man and I can relate to almost every word. Crazy how it hits home at times. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

An amazing adventure. Praise God, as many have never understood the sacrifice that you have come to realize. Your wisdom with understanding the big picture will bring many blessing to you, your children, wife and friends. Congrats on a beautiful goat!

• Like 1

I really enjoyed this post. I also appreciate the value you hold in friends and family. Congratulations on a great goat!

• Like 1

I'm interested to hear about the logistics. How hard was it to get to the hunt site? Did you use a transporter? 600 pound limit? And the place you camped, was it the guide's area or was it a public cabin? What did you do with the goat after you got it back to your base camp?

I'd love to go to Kodiak, but the logistics are complex. It's easy enough to get to the main airport, but after that it gets expensive with private charter flights, weight restrictions, or boat charters. If you don't want to rough it a lodge is a good option, but very expensive.