Sign in to follow this  
azcoyote

Time for some Binocs. So... 8x or 10x... and Why?

So I am not too interested in brand wars or stuff like that. Binoc hunting appears to be very subjective in what each person wants in terms of brand.

Some of it is purely science (coatings, prism types, etc)... Needless to say with infinite money (powerball anyone?) anyone could just throw $3000 down and be happy...

I am working out what I want... Roof prism with dielectric coating and multicoating lenses etc etc...

What I would like to know if you have a second is what magnification and aperture size you prefer hunting here in AZ.

I can see the extra mag of 10x being useful in some places here. 8x seems likely to be better for general use (IMO). What do you think?

I know it is heavy into preference but the WHY of it is what is useful. Thanks!

I like to carry 8x32's around my neck, not a lot of weight and plenty of power for handheld glassing distances, I carry 15's and a tripod in my pack. I get to glassing spot and cover the ground around me with the 8's, then set up the 15's.

Yep 8's the bomb! 12 or 15/16's in pack.

Love tbe field of view with 8's

Recently swapped some 8's for 10's and NOT SURE WHY

A lot of it depends on your terrain you hunt. AZ has wide open country and thick stuff. I've always used 10's. My nephew uses 8's and sees more stuff than I do with my 10's. Must be those young eyes. Good luck with your decision. Don't make it too hard.

I am newer at glassing but buy the 8s or 10s your eyes like and get a bigger pair for the pack. I have 8x40s on my neck and learned this year I need a bigger pair too. I caught site of some deer during my elk hunt way out and couldn't tell much about them. A set of 15s would have been really nice to dial in more info on them.

When I bought my 8s I had intended to buy 10s but the 8s felt better to my eyes.

I carry 10x42 around my neck. Nice and lite weight, small enough to hold steady by hand and big enough to be useful on a tripod. My range finder has a 7x magnification so in thick timber treestand hunting I dont even take the binos anymore, I just use the range finder. My leica rangefinder is clearer than my monarch binos are anyway.

I think my next upgrade will be to sell off my minox 15x and buy a top end 10x do-all bino from leica.

I hadn't thought about keeping a spotting scope in the pack. Seems like a great idea.

I am leaning to 8x42 since I found the features I want at the price I want. I have some hand shake issues from an old injury and I like the FOV a bit more.

I think then I should save up for the spotting scope in that 15x range. Thanks!

• Like 1

My opinion.

10x42s on a GOOD shoulder harness so you don't have the weight hanging off your neck. You can glass from 10-12' to 1.5 miles with QUALITY 10s.

I also keep a set of 15s in my pack at all times. But I might not grab the pack all the time either. A quick hike after a bunny or covey of quail, sneaking up to a tank to check for ducks, calling for coyotes, heading to a treestand, etc. finds my big pack in the back seat of the truck. But the 10s on a harness are on my chest 99% of the time.

I think glassing experience trumps an additional 80' FOV @ 1000 yards for seeing more game. The additional magnification helps in picking out antler tips, an ear or tail flick, a patch of hair, etc. @ 1000+ yards too. It just takes an extra pass or four to cover a hillside with 10s over 8s. Any bino magnification range (8 to 15X) can pick out a deer or elk standing in the open out to 1.5 miles. It is finding them bedded, unmoving or behind brush that is needed more often. 10s help with the details.

Also, a tripod, whether using 8x or 10x helps tremendously when glassing past a few hundred yards. Even a cheap $50 camera tripod is better than nothing. Bino shake negates seeing most minor movement of game at distance. How can you see an ear move if the whole earth appears to be moving? A rock steady bino lets you pick up very minor movement at long distance. No joke, I can see chipmunks and small birds moving at 1000+ easily when glassing off my tripod with my 10s. Even at a mile. Very eye catching seeing any sort of movement.

Under 600-800 yards is preference. 8s or 10s don't make a big difference at the closer ranges. Under 100 yards, target acquisition experience helps with the 10x over the 8x a bit.

I think 15s are WAY overkill for your only bino. Way too much for glassing under 500-800 unless you have seen it already and are taking a close look. But phenomenal for glassing from 1000 yards out to 2-3 miles.

• Like 6

I hadn't thought about keeping a spotting scope in the pack. Seems like a great idea.

I am leaning to 8x42 since I found the features I want at the price I want. I have some hand shake issues from an old injury and I like the FOV a bit more.

I think then I should save up for the spotting scope in that 15x range. Thanks!

You're on the right track. 8's for sure for off hand glassig. I actually have 6.5's and 7's for my neck binos. 10's are a sorry compromise between a good hand hold bino and a good tripod bino. If you aren't carrying a tripod then 8's are the absolute highest I'd go. If they're for hand holding and tripod mounting and you can only afford one pair, then get 10's.
  • Like 1