Sign in to follow this  
Edge

Where were you this day, 1986?

It's a day I'll never forget. Was at Luke working a busy day shift, briefing pilots on their flight plans, observing the weather conditions.

Our station chief, a Senior Master SGT, lightened the morning up by wheeling a TV into the hall where we and the fighter pilots could watch the Challenger lift off.

Luke AFB was one of the emergency landing runways were the orbit to be scrubbed. Didn't bother me a bit to send in additional landing data to NASA on those launches, it was an honor.

We all know what happened, seemingly flawless lift off, then disaster. Within seconds, the Chief yanked the TVs cord out of the wall and teared up as he and our unit commander went in to their offices and closed their doors. They rarely ever closed their door's.

There wasn't a dry eye in the flight planning room. Everyone was quiet, everyone wanted left alone. But our work went on and there'd be more successful launches and tragedies. But I'll never forget that day.

Anyone else remember where they were that day?

• Like 5

Sitting at home in Flagstaff anticipating the awesome idea that a teacher was headed out to space. I was working on my own teaching degree and thought it was pretty cool.

As I watched the "live" broadcast I remember thinking that I didn't think is was supposed to look like that....multiple plumes and streamers.........rough day my wife was watching this with her 3rd grade class as well........

I was in 6th grade and had just walked into my classroom after an early morning appointment to get my cast off. I remember seeing the solemn faces and I'll never forget the look on my teacher's face.

If I've never said it before, Tim, thanks for your service!

• Like 1

Sitting at home in Flagstaff anticipating the awesome idea that a teacher was headed out to space. I was working on my own teaching degree and thought it was pretty cool.

As I watched the "live" broadcast I remember thinking that I didn't think is was supposed to look like that....multiple plumes and streamers.........rough day my wife was watching this with her 3rd grade class as well........

Ouch. Yeah a lot of kids were watching. Everyone young and old got a reality check that day, sadly.

I was watching the event in my high school English class.

Payson High school, Mr Frugia was the teacher.

The speech President Reagan gave after that solemn event made quite an impression on me as well.

I was in 6th Grade at Ronald Reagan School in Yuma. I remember all of us going to the Library that day where they had a TV on with news broadcasts being shown of the tragedy that day. I remember what a big deal it was because there was a civilian teacher on board that flight. I also remember how big of an impact that event had on our Country and how the healing process brought us all together for a short time.

I was ditching school doing bongs at a friend's house. We watched it live on tv. Sad deal for sure.

• Like 1

5th grade elementary.

They pulled the entire school out of class to the cafeteria so we could watch.

I still remember how sad we all felt.

Black rock near Fort Thomas archery Javelina hunting. PSE Nova compound.

lol, I think I might be using that bow these days.

I was in the third grade, our class was watching it on tv. I don't think I remember a dang thing from grade school but I remember seeing that.

• Like 2