Sign in to follow this  
goinhuntn

Just want to vent

I did get drawn this year (probably 7E late bull), 1st time in 5 try's. I understand the frustration with the draw system, but coming from the Midwest where you can hunt whitetails or whitetails, it is still great to be able to have the chance to hunt the game we have without paying a ridiculous price or driving a 1000 miles to do it. The system has it's flaws but we are still the envy of a lot of people back east.

Too bad that elk hunter tears don't cure cancer.

Boo fricken hoo.

• Like 4

I don't like including cow hunts into these discussions. Nothing wrong with cow elk hunting, but it certainly isn't what most of the people in the draw are trying for. I'm in favor of things remaining the same even though I have definitely not had great draw luck myself. I do like the fact that every year you've got a chance, no matter how minimal that chance is. Now non residents also have that same opportunity.

Bottom line is most people underestimate what the average amount of years the wait for a bull elk tag is. There is a thought that it's just the most popular units that require a long wait. This is far from the truth. The "middle of the road" and "easy" to draw bull tags take a resident 5-10 years or 7-12 bonus points to draw. The "high demand" bull hunts take 14-20 years on average to draw. Basic numbers but these are pretty close from my research. Some will get lucky and draw with none. Some will be unlucky and not draw with 10-12 points. That's the game. Tougher on average for most non-residents.

• Like 5

Look, the top BP holders are those with 1 and 2, last year there were about 24,000 of each. That means 48,000 chances for the 1s and 72,000 chances for the 2s.

Compare that to the 9 bp group that had 900 for 9000 chances in the draw.

Obviously some of those 2bp 72,000 chances are going to draw a low lottery number and get their first choice long shot tag.

There's about 110,000 applicants with 0 to 8 BPs representing 330,000 draw chances.

There's about 4500 applicants with 9 to 22 BPs representing 55,000 draw chances.

You can start getting in the 20% pass of decent archery hunts with 9, if you have 10+ bps you already passed some guaranteed hunts.

If you have 5 bps you have passed cow hunts guaranteed draw.

If you are in the 80% general draw because your bp count isn't enough to get into a 20% pass, you are competing with every other BP group... and the 2 bp'ers dominate... so why is your bps more valid than anyone else's?

80% of tags in each hunt go to the general draw, the lower levels will get their share based on numbers.

Life is math...

Kent

• Like 1

Look, the top BP holders are those with 1 and 2, last year there were about 24,000 of each. That means 48,000 chances for the 1s and 72,000 chances for the 2s.

Obviously some of those 2bp 72,000 chances are going to draw a low lottery number and get their first choice long shot tag.

There's about 110,000 applicants with 0 to 8 BPs representing 330,000 draw chances.

There's about 4500 applicants with 9 to 22 BPs representing 55,000 draw chances.

You can start getting in the 20% pass of decent archery hunts with 9, if you have 10+ bps you already passed some guaranteed hunts.

If you are in the 80% general draw because your bp count isn't enough to get into a 20% pass, you are competing with every other BP group... and the 2 bp'ers dominate... so why is your bps more valid than anyone else's?

80% of tags in each hunt go to the general draw, the lower levels will get their share based on numbers.

Life is math...

Kent

All of this makes sense, but furthermore people getting upset that they didnt draw is like being mad that you didnt win the lottery. Its still a random drawing.....the key word in this is RANDOM. Unless you have the max BP's working in your favor you are subject to the RANDOM part of this drawing. As much as it sucks myself and a few good buddies plan on hunting out of state every year and the draw for elk in AZ is just a bonus at this point in time!

• Like 2

Life is math...

Kent

All of this makes sense, but furthermore people getting upset that they didnt draw is like being mad that you didnt win the lottery. Its still a random drawing.....the key word in this is RANDOM. Unless you have the max BP's working in your favor you are subject to the RANDOM part of this drawing. As much as it sucks myself and a few good buddies plan on hunting out of state every year and the draw for elk in AZ is just a bonus at this point in time!

What he said ^^^^^^^

We've got the fairest system out there in my opinion. 6 bull tags in 9 years, but i put in for the worst hunts only.

Most guys don't want the nov archery bull tags because they would have to learn how to hunt silent elk. They don't want to spend the time to learn and pattern what elk are doing outside of the rut. When you see some of the bulls that get killed on those late hunts by guys that know how to hunt them in Nov you would be surprised. A lot of those tags go to guys that keep their mouths and pics to themselves.

Most people don't want the November archery hunts cuz they suck.

Yes you are so right late archery hunts suck

post-8631-0-97062400-1460051339_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Most guys don't want the nov archery bull tags because they would have to learn how to hunt silent elk. They don't want to spend the time to learn and pattern what elk are doing outside of the rut. When you see some of the bulls that get killed on those late hunts by guys that know how to hunt them in Nov you would be surprised. A lot of those tags go to guys that keep their mouths and pics to themselves.

Yes your so right late archery hunts suck

youre*

youre*

you're

youre*

you're

Dang you.