Sign in to follow this  
goinhuntn

Just want to vent

Yikes! I got an antelope tag in my 4th year the first time I put in and now am on 7 bonus points. Hopefully I get hit again. It's a fun hunt.

Thats part of the problem. The population goes up bye 1 million people every 10 years since I moved here in 1977. A lot more people. We do not need Hunter recruitment ,as they keep saying We do. They just want more App $...................BOB1

• Like 2

I think the only thing that would be better than our system is throw the whole point system out and make everyone play on equal ground. I like the fact that I can draw every year regardless of how many points I have.

• Like 1

This is the first time in 5 years i havent been drawn for bull elk and i am pissed! How the heck did this happen? Guess my guy on the inside must have finally retired

It almost as if life ain't always fair.

That's what I tell my kids.

• Like 1

What's the difference between bonus points and preference points? I know some states have a preference system.

the # 1 - way to solve the problem is a 2-3 yr waiting period to apply if you are successfully drawn

As easy as still being able to put in for a bonus point each yr. during your waiting period - + being able to apply for leftovers

G&F will still sell every tag every yr and by the 3rd yr - guys will be applying with 5 bpts if you count hunted ed and Loyalty

It would rotate the people getting tags -so by the 3rd yr your chances are even better as the odds would

be greatly in your favor with the reduced number of available applicants.

no more waiting 6- 8 10 yrs on most big game animals

much better odds on antelope tags ,

Too easy of a solution

I've been saying the same thing for years! 23 actually....the number of bogus points I have for antelope. The main backlash I hear is "but atleast the way it is now I have a chance to draw every year."

the # 1 - way to solve the problem is a 2-3 yr waiting period to apply if you are successfully drawn

As easy as still being able to put in for a bonus point each yr. during your waiting period - + being able to apply for leftovers

G&F will still sell every tag every yr and by the 3rd yr - guys will be applying with 5 bpts if you count hunted ed and Loyalty

It would rotate the people getting tags -so by the 3rd yr your chances are even better as the odds would

be greatly in your favor with the reduced number of available applicants.

no more waiting 6- 8 10 yrs on most big game animals

much better odds on antelope tags ,

Too easy of a solution

Alright I am not going to do all the math cause it would take a while and most people wouldn't read it anyway. But you are wrong. Think of it this way, for the antelope hunt I drew two years ago there were 6 tags and almost 1,000 applicants. So if you excluded 3 years of tag holders from the draw the pool would be 982 applicants instead of 1,000. Statistically not much changed.

Ok so I guess I did do a little math but hopefully everyone follows.

^^^^that's the exception, not the rule. Most hunts have more than 6 tags.

Truths, and not-so truths, have been offered already earlier in this thread.

As a native Arizonan past my younger years, I've seen it all over the years here in our state.

As we all know, Arizona's main problem is too many people (more & more each year, unfortunately) wanting to hunt too few animals in an arid state with limited elk-supportable land. That's NOT going to change. As stated before, if you want to hunt more often, you might look into hunting out of state as well (just stating an unfortunate fact).

The lottery draw began in 1971, if memory serves me right. G&F had successful tag draw-ees sit out 3 years (back in the late '80s?). That lasted only 2-3 years (?). As Flatlander pointed out > statistically it does NOT better your draw odds worth a hill of beans, and it deprives G&F with needed revenue (I know ... but important). I don't remember if bonus points were offered for those off years under that plan.

The only thing that may be an improvement is the squaring of bonus points --- not sure how seriously G&F has considered this.

We still have it much better than hunters in Utah or New Mexico ...

It would not take away their precious revenue if the rules stated that after you draw during your 3 year wait you still have to purchase a bogus point in order to be put back on the draw on year 4. They would still collect all that money and issue the same amount of tags.

I just don't give a crap any more. 30 years ago we got a tag for elk every year. I just missed a bull tag with 8 points in 5BS and my hunting buddy who is only 66 missed a cow tag in same with 5 points. No way are we going to live long enough to draw again. I am just going to hunt one more bull without a tag before I die off and can still pull a bow. I will even write poacher on the back of my pack so the dorks at G&F can figure it out. I will be the old man that is dragging his left leg around and flipping all the flatlanders the bird. Now I know how the natives felt when all the white eyes moved in and took all their stuff. Go ahead and take my hunting priveleges away for life. You already did that.

• Like 1

What's the difference between bonus points and preference points? I know some states have a preference system.

Preference is when they take the ones with the most points and they draw tags, no randomness whatsoever. Basically you are waiting in line. Point creep is the issue here and if you don't start with enough points you might not ever draw. With bonus points the computer assigns a random number to each bonus point and the computer uses the lowest number in the draw. You don't get extra tickets in the bucket. You get extra chances for the computer to randomly assign you a low enough number to be successful in the draw.

• Like 2

I don't feel bad for anyone that doesn't draw. You can hunt elk every year if you wanted to. I put in for units that have good odds. I think I have had 3 cow tags and 4 bull tags in the last 15 years. I have bought another OTC tag as well. Just me venting and my 2 cents.

On a side note 5+ years is wayyyyy to long not to hunt Elk!!!!

• Like 1

I think G&F should give everyone a tag. That way the following year nobody will complain about not getting a tag. Instead everyone will complain about not seeing any Elk, becasue they were all killed the previous year.

I'm still shocked about how often people bitch and moan about not getting a tag. If you look at the draw odds you will see you probably had very little chance at drawing. Why are you suprised?

Again, if you want to hunt elk put in for the easier to draw tags, OTC tags or go out of state. There are a lot of other options you just have to be willing to do something a little different.

• Like 9