codyhuntsaz

Do you really need a truck to hunt...

So here's what I mean by that, I've driven a truck my whole life. And now I'm wondering do you really even need a truck to hunt? Or if you do, do you need a four-wheel-drive? My thinking is wouldn't an SUV with decent ground clearance towing a trailer with a side-by-side on it. Work just as well? Or even a 2 WD truck just to save on the initial cost and gas mileage. I figure if you're towing a trailer with a Ranger on it, if you get a trailer a little longer than you need that would make up for the truck bed space. And if it's your drive around town vehicle you're going to save on gas mileage and expense of tires etc. etc.. If you need the four-wheel-drive to get into a hunting area you could always detach the trailer hook the side-by-side up to the trailer load your gear on the trailer and keep going as far in as you need to go right? Just something I've been thinking about and wondering how many guys hunt out of an SUV or 2 WD truck. I can only think of maybe four or five times where I actually needed four-wheel-drive. Now yes it's always better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it. But is it necessary? Just curious.

When I was going to school I had no other choice, plenty of trips without 4x4. You just have to change your strategy.

biggamehunting.jpg

I spent 2 days in this spot, hunting during the peak times and getting myself unstuck the rest of the time.

huntinrig.jpg

I drove the same car to the trailhead where I packed in and killed this buck during school.

Houstondeer2.jpg

• Like 17

When I was going to school I had no other choice, plenty of trips without 4x4. You just have to change your strategy.

biggamehunting.jpg

I spent 2 days in this spot, hunting during the peak times and getting myself unstuck the rest of the time.

huntinrig.jpg

lmao thats pretty hardcore.

• Like 1

That's a challenge.

I'd recommend at least a 4x4. Weather changes, you might not get in as easily as you get out.

I did the first 5 years of hunting with a 98 Yukon and a trailer. No problems. (You need to carry the coolers).

Haha, glad I don't have pics but in WA one year chose the 2dr Tercel over the truck to save gas. Got a nice Columbia blacktail near Mt Rainier, put him in the trunk and couldn't get the lid down. Surely pissed some libs off driving back to Seattle like that.

Last year took the gf's Sonic shed hunting and got into some narly country in gmu 9. Guys in their lifted 4x4's couldn't help but stare...and laugh. Left 9 and headed to meet Mulepackhunter in 5a. He warned me the forest road in was muddy and chewed up and to call from the Hiway, he'd come get me. BS, I had to go for it. Man was he surprised to see me drive in.

That 40mpg is hard to ignore.

But surely the gf would disown me if she knew where I took her car. It's one reason I don't keep photographic evidence.

• Like 5

I've done all my hunting out of a Toyota 2wd Sequoia. Had everything needed for a tent camp with cots and hunting gear. I did have a trailer hitch mounted rack for coolers and whatever. Always a full load, but I just took my time and made camp plans while scouting.

I have both a 2wd 1/2 ton and a sierra 2500hd 4x4. I take the 1/2 out more with me since usually I'm able to drive in and the last few miles I walk. If it's a new area or somewhere I know I'm gonna need 4 wheel drive then it's a no brainer.

Good campfire topic. I believe your suggested solution is just fine. My '98 Jeep ZJ has been a hunting vehicle and it works great even without a trailer. Not big enough for Elk, but fine for Javalina, turkey, etc. It is for sale now because personally I like having a dedicated 4x4 pickup for hunting and am lucky enough to have one. It is over 30 years old and I certainly have less invested than some of the rigs I see pulling side by sides or quads. No it is not a daily driver and I wouldn't want it as one.

The one disadvantage I see to your idea of SUV and trailer with quad, or in fact anything that involves leaving a vehicle behind, is well... leaving a vehicle behind. I can carry a whole camp for 2 in my short bed single cab '84 F-150 and search out remote places to setup a base. Yes 4x4 is usually required to get to these places and good tires are a must. I can then hunt from camp if I like or day trip pretty much wherever I want. Sometimes the only vehicles I see driving past my truck camp are quads. I understand the advantages of the method you suggest, but it is not for me. I get the toy hauler quad, side by side, diesel pickup thing as well, but that is way beyond my budget. I'll stick to my old Ford.

I like what I have, and have what I like. I hope you do too.

• Like 1

Last year I had a major cooling system failure with my truck during the hunt. I went out once more and parked my Acura along side a maintained dirt road and went hunting. Didn't tag out but would have stuffed quarters in the trunk if I did.

I hunt out of a 2008 FJ Cruiser. Never been stuck anywhere, full time 4x4 (so far...knock on wood). It's been great so far, has decent storage and towing capacity is good for it's size. I fish a ton as well, so I also tow a Champion 181 on a single axle trailer. No problems there either. It's a 6 speed manual, so when going up the 87 to Roosevelt, I just downshift to 4th.

post-14202-0-29205800-1465493747_thumb.jpg

post-14202-0-42990500-1465493755_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I had to pull my buddy's Nissan Titan (2wd) up certain bump spots on the way to Edwards Park last November.

2wd just couldn't cut it. But- it all depends on where you plan to go I guess.

when I was still in college all I had was a little Honda, I guarantee it's been off road more than most of the pretty boy lifted trucks you see on the highway. Now I have a f150 and I'm really glad I have the 4x4 especially in those sandy washes in the flat country and up high on the late hunts

• Like 1

This guy doesn't need 4x4. I saw him a few times the last few years.

photobucket-21112-1325379740380.jpg

Since 1980 I've owned 5 trucks of which two were not 4WD. My F250 is 16 years old and has 278K on it and has probably been through about 6 sets of tires. That would probably be more if it were only 2WD as I would probably spin them more. If I didn't have 4WD I would probably have to hike twice as far to get away from people since I have never owned an ATV and always hunt from camp on foot.

So yes you don't need one per say but it is nice to have when it is time to get back out sometimes. Going down long steep grades it will help to keep you from loosing it and going up those steep ones it helps to keep you from tearing up the tires because they will eventually spin as you could slide off the road when you loose traction.

Just learn to hunt within the practical limits of your equipment. Good topic.