codyhuntsaz

Do you really need a truck to hunt...

I will NEVER buy a 2wd vehicle in my life. I drove my dad's 2wd f150 in high school on countless hunts and got it stuck too many times to count. It's not just a pain in the a$$, it can be life or death if you're by yourself in a bad situation far from help. As far as having a truck, jeeps are better off roading rigs but you have way less room for gear and stuff for long hunts and you make a mess throwing game/meat in the back. Also, it's a lot easier to get laid in the bed of a pick up ;) here are some picks from when I got my dad's truck stuck and had to load boulders in the back to get traction

it was stuck because it was a gutless ford though, not because it was 2wd.

I plan on buying a 4x4 Silverado

e17vgl.gif

• Like 2

Ford didn't take Obama money unlike gm and dodge

• Like 4

I will NEVER buy a 2wd vehicle in my life. I drove my dad's 2wd f150 in high school on countless hunts and got it stuck too many times to count. It's not just a pain in the a$$, it can be life or death if you're by yourself in a bad situation far from help. As far as having a truck, jeeps are better off roading rigs but you have way less room for gear and stuff for long hunts and you make a mess throwing game/meat in the back. Also, it's a lot easier to get laid in the bed of a pick up ;) here are some picks from when I got my dad's truck stuck and had to load boulders in the back to get traction

Jeeps are good, but if you want a truck with off road capabilities, you get a Dodge Power Wagon. Picture a 3/4 ton truck with Jeep Rubicon qualities. It comes from the factory with full skid plates (not cheap Ford type), 4.56 gearing, selectable lockers front and rear, a 16,500 lb winch 1 ton axle shafts and frame with additional ladder bracing.

My post wasn't vehicle based religion or a brand preference, just a plea to fund my outdoor habits. I like to live comfortably, and one of those budgets doesn't change.

Only 4x4 fords . only way to go .and to get back........................BOB!

• Like 2

I drove my wife's Ford Escape 4wd since 2009 to hunt. Got me most places, but not everywhere I wanted to go. Ground clearance sucked. I beat the crap out of that thing. The mechanics were laughing at me and told me it wasn't designed for what I was using it for. told me I had to stop. Had to pack that thing to the gills to get all my gear in. I just bought a truck.

Did you carry chains?

There was Lezbaru I mean Suburu thread on Bowsite a while back. Cracked me up but shows how where there is a will there is a way to get out there and hunt. Glad I have a 4x4 but I could probably pull off 3/4 of what I do in a SUV/awd type deal. Truck not required but nice to have.

Did you carry chains?

No, I should've tho

Jeeps are good, but if you want a truck with off road capabilities, you get a Dodge Power Wagon. Picture a 3/4 ton truck with Jeep Rubicon qualities. It comes from the factory with full skid plates (not cheap Ford type), 4.56 gearing, selectable lockers front and rear, a 16,500 lb winch 1 ton axle shafts and frame with additional ladder bracing.

I'm not entirely opposed to getting a dodge either it's just I've heard their tranny's suck

Ah man I spend countless hours driving to work and back pondering this subject. First off the garage: an 86 Toyota 4WD short bed. Still camp/hunt out of it and will go anywhere, its just a dog going up hills with a load at highway speeds. I get dirty looks when I'm going up 87 or Salt River Canyon. My other option is our 5.3 02 Chevy Tahoe LT 4WD. I also camp/hunt out of it and will keep probably keep it forever, its paid for afterall! The only drawback is the wife gets stuck shuttling the kids around in our other daily driver when I take it.

In the beginning we used to beat the heck out of our trucks and prayed we could still make it home after the hunt. About 15 years ago we switched over to Honda's and Polaris's. The thinking was we could leave the rigs in camp and beat those up. After all that's what they are designed for, right? They were great and served their purpose for a little while. Just remember the extra gear that needs to be taken since you will be in the elements (layering for those early morning rides in the teens, rain ponchos and another set of gloves). Hear lately we have gone back to using the rigs. It sure is nice to be able to pull up to our spot and still enjoy a nice cup of coffee while sitting in the cab watching the rear view mirror thermometer switch back and forth from 32 to Ice and back again. Now we still tote the quads, but for some time now they have been staying in camp for the "just in case" factor. I'll add we camp out of a 15x19 outfitters tent complete with a wood burning stove. (The bomb!)

The Dilemma. About 3 years ago I sold my quad and quite frankly have not missed it. I think the kids miss me taking them on the evening rides in the desert near the house. I must confess, I'm still on the CL looking for the next sportsman or ranger, just haven't found the one that I would feel good about parting with the money for. With the family growing, I go back and forth on which would be the smarter purchase? Do I go with the Ranger so we all fit? Do I go with a pop up and leave the side by side or sportsman at home? Do I go with a 21' travel trailer for the modern conveniences of home for my wife and daughter? Do I just go for the home run and get a toy hauler and take it all?

I went on my spring Turkey hunt a few months back. I began preparing for it by getting in shape starting on New Years Day, oh wait I was recovering from New Years Eve so the next day after that. I drove up in the Tahoe, slept in it, and drove home in it. I logged over 14 miles on my boots (don't let my user name fool you) in 2 days of hunting and felt great. Did i run in to Rangers way in the heck back in there? Yes. That's just the nature of it nowadays. I guess I'm coming full circle and going back to where it all began, learning the country on foot. Check that, learning the country on Google Earth and then laying my own eyes on it on foot. Depending on what I draw in fall, I'll probably buy a smaller outfitter wall tent. They are just super tough and handy plus they pack and store great. No storage fee to pay for and no nasty Association letters to open. I was listening to a podcast this morning. This guy was really high on the jumping jack trailers and just how mobile they are if you need to move camp. Gotta look into those.

If you made it to the bottom, thanks for soapbox moment. I kind of just ran away with it. To answer your question: Yes you can get by without a truck to hunt.

• Like 1

I've been hunting out of SUV's for years. Started with a 83 k5 blazer, had em all. Toyotas gm's.... I've had 3/4 ton Chevys 1/2 ton ford trucks and my most recent truck was a 2012 Tacoma. I prefer an suv over a truck cause it keeps my gear out of the elements and provides a good sleeping area on a quick trip when you don't want to setup a tent. It also keeps my dog cool in the summer when going on a scouting trip. I don't pull big trailers so SUVs are fine for me. My camper is 16' and my utility trailer is 10'. If you are serious about hunting and spend at least 5-10 weekends a year in the hills then get a 4x4. If you go less then 5 times a year then 2wd will probly suit you fine. I have never owned a 2wd so I have no experience off road with them. I do have a buddy that is extremely cheap and bought a 2wd dodge to save money and he is a pain in the butt to hunt with cause can't make it to many of our spots and if it gets wet out he's toast. We have to plan around his 2wd, don't be this guy if the budget allows. My biggest piece of advice is take care of your rig, do lots of preventative maintenance and if you can't afford the 4x4 now then upgrade later and if you take care

of your stuff it sells for more when it's time to upgrade. I would recommend you get an suv on a truck frame. Something like a Tahoe or Yukon, sequoia or 4Runner(not truck frame but they are tuff). Do you need a truck no, does a truck allow for some conveniences and extra towing and cargo space, yep.

The side by side behind the truck or suv is a good option but a good side by side can be as much or more then a good used suv.

HA!

My grandfather, who lived in AZ for 90 years and recently passed, hunted out of a 2 wheel drive for +40 years. The standing joke was the road was no problem because "Fernando has already been there" and then someone would pipe up and say "If he went there I am not taking my truck". He would drive fairly slow and get places we didn't belong doing his WWII driving. He always told us jeeps were only 2 wheel drive. :P

My dad on the other hand only ever owned 2 trucks that were not 4x4. He taught me the very bad habit of getting committed to roads that turn to $h!t so you could break in your new truck. Still have nightmares about a few of those. <_<

I would say 4x4 truck. The reason is because of their practicality. You can run to the Depot and toss 10' whatever in the bed on a Tuesday and run to the desert on a Friday. It also helps if you need 4x4 not just to get unstuck, but for the control factor. Sometimes 4x4 keeps you from wheel hop or controlling speed when descending hills. The idea of trailering an ATV is fine, but then you have another expense and items to maintain. Another SUV is fine too, but be careful, because before long, you will have toys and vehicles that cost you a couple thousand a year just to have.

That's just my opinion. I'm single and without a wife and kids. If I did, I might have those items everyone mentions because they would be fun for the family and also they could fit in the SUV.

If nothing else, 4x4 is a must. It's so nice to turn a knob and pass right through or over or up most anything. This is a good topic.