Sign in to follow this  
rossislider

"How did I live without it?" Hunting Gear

There have been many treads on the dangers of the post step. If your foot slips, the step breaks or comes off the post while you are in the air guess where you will land. Bring some adj .straps or rope and pull up the bottom strand and roll under.

• Like 2

Even though 90% of the people in here are already familiar with it, I'm going to also throw the Outdoorsman's bino stud and bino/tripod mounting system. It was a total game changer for me when I discovered it several years ago.

https://outdoorsmans.com/collections/tripod-accessories

Does anyone know if outdoorsman makes one that fits Vortex 15s? Didn't see one on their website...

I'm pretty sure it is the same one that fits the Swaro SLCs. I'm sure there is one. Give the Outdoorsman's a call.

• Like 1

Even though 90% of the people in here are already familiar with it, I'm going to also throw the Outdoorsman's bino stud and bino/tripod mounting system. It was a total game changer for me when I discovered it several years ago.

https://outdoorsmans.com/collections/tripod-accessories

Does anyone know if outdoorsman makes one that fits Vortex 15s? Didn't see one on their website...

I'm pretty sure it is the same one that fits the Swaro SLCs. I'm sure there is one. Give the Outdoorsman's a call.

Will do, thanks!

Shooting sticks!!!

I learned 'old school', sitting on my butt with the rifle resting on one knee. Shooting sticks were HUGE in helping all three of my children shoot at a young age!

S.

:)

I would have to say the thermacel if you hunt anything in the early seasons deer elk antelope turkey whatever it is priceless to have in the pack at those times

• Like 1

Double crossed shooting sticks. I've now killed my last 2 bulls using these, and they weren't close shots either. Light weight and support both ends of your gun. I got mine off amazon I think they are made by high and heavy outdoors or something like that.

I also recently upgraded from a Vortex high country tripod/ball head to a carbon manfrotto tripod w/ a manfrotto fluid head. Makes a night and day difference in glassing and I can also glass standing up which does come in handy.

• Like 2

Tripod

Baby wipes

GPS

Upgraded bios....compared to the $15 Bushnells I started off with.

Pole cat shooting stick I got on clearance when Jensens closed.

Range finder

Lastly my Ranger, which I no longer have. ..unfortunately.

I have many but each really changed the way we hunt.

My bow.

Nothing else has come close to changing the way I hunt or improving/changing what little true hunting skills I had at the time.

There have been many treads on the dangers of the post step. If your foot slips, the step breaks or comes off the post while you are in the air guess where you will land. Bring some adj .straps or rope and pull up the bottom strand and roll under.

i was going to look it up and order it too lol.

Map app/gps for phone

Battery phone case

Rangefinder

Quality Tripod

15x56 binos

Thermacell

Buddy heater

Kodiak canvas tent

Ranger (saves a ton of abuse on my truck and much faster getting up nasty roads)

Some of my better purchases in the last few years.

• Like 1

I would say one of my biggest upgrades has been my Kifaru backpack. It is amazing what a properly fitted backpack with superior load carrying capabilities will do for a guy.

Great thread idea. Sorry for the long list, I spend way too much time thinking about this stuff so the list keeps growing. Nothing is a necessity but I high five myself every time I use these. :D

Soto Pocket Torch: $20 buys you magic :o, seriously turns any Bic into a serious torch. Yes, you are all welcome this thing is awesome!

Walkstool: Do your @ss and back a favor and then fold it down small enough to fit in your backpack. There is a recent thread on this, just buy one!

Shooter app: Changed my shooting game and ability to quickly set up others in my party.

Kestrel: You need an anemometer anyway so buy a good one and step up and get the baro, temp, humidity so you can use it with Shooter

Garmin GLO: paired with Motion GPX or Trimble Hunt & Fish app. GPS on your phone screen is a game changer especially with hunt units, boundaries, wireless uploads, etc.

Triclawps: Mostly because it has worked amazingly well for my kids and father in situations where they could not have made a shot otherwise.

DeLorme INReach: again not so much for me, more for my wife who is a worry wart made the Mexico trips doable

Pit Jugs: Red Walmart gas jugs suck! slow and messy. Good fuel jugs for $25 are worth every penny and you can even pretend your racing and make car noises if you want.

Jet Boil: cooks and boils water in minutes! Also had a cheap coffee press attachment, mmmm! fresh (good) coffee!

Powertank: If you have the funds buy a Co2 tank fills tires in seconds (not minutes). I just recently made this investment, expensive but wow is it convenient

BOLT Locks: Also a new one for me. Hitch lock, padlock that keys to your truck key auto-magically so you don't ever lose it.

• Like 2

A good, quality high dollar custom knife. I used a Charles May and love it. The knife for field work, Piranha for in camp.

• Like 2