Edge

Damned coons

Where did you hear that they aren't indigenous?

I'm trying to find that, read it years ago when there weren't many around, think it was Natl Geographic. The notion that they are not 'indigenous'is so ridiculous, maybe they edited that out. Like allforelk wrote, "unit 8 from the 80s on" kind of encapsulates it, they've spread like hogs in TX.

My earliest and for years, only encounter with them was at Colossal Cave in 1977. I didn't know one was in a trash can and when I pushed the lid open it grabbed the bag from me. Scared the crap out of me.

Coons are damned smart too. About 17 years ago I was living in WA. There was a koi pond outside my bedroom porch. Heard a ruckus one night and it was a pair of coons working together to catch fish. One coon was in the pond herding the kois to the opposite end of the pond where his partner was lying on the edge and scooping the fish onto the land.

And they keep letting more in the country..................BOB!

• Like 2

Seen them in Bowie, near the hot springs. Recently saw a dead one on Palo Verde Rd/36th in Tucson, seen them at Agua Caliente Park.

I think I seen the same dead one on palo verde. I was on my way to work and it was laid out in the middle of palo verde right by the street to turn into motor vehicle. Seems like thats a pretty good area for them. My brother in law lives near that area by the base and he was having a problem with his dogs late at night. Turned out it was raccoon coming in at night and eating the dogs food.

• Like 1

Loop 101 and 202 interchange

You saw the dead one as well? Also seen a dead javelina there a month ago.

• Like 1

Not meaning any disrespect, but racoons are as prevalent as cockroaches in this and every other state in the nation. Show me a place that doesn't have racoons - now THAT would be interesting.

• Like 2

They are all around my house i-17 and happy valley and every mountain and wash in phoenix

Saw 1 dead by az archery club couple weeks back and 1 dead under overpass at 101 and 27th av maybe 2 months back.

1st thing that used to visit a pile of corn or a juicy cantaloupe was a mess of coons, 2nd fox, 3rd yotes, 4th quail, 5th pigs, 6th bobcats. I miss urban arrow slingin!

• Like 1

Loop 101 and 202 interchange

You saw the dead one as well? Also seen a dead javelina there a month ago.
Pigs love using the greenbelts (hiking trails) all thru the valley and now we got cats following the herds. This is what happens when archery is shut down south of this line and North of that line and East of this 3rd and West of that 1. 😡

They are pretty much all over from Central America up to parts of Canada and have been introduced to parts of Europe and elsewhere.

• Like 1

I never knew we had them here in Tucson, let alone right in the middle of town! First time I seen a skunk here in town was about 10 years ago. It was after midnight or so and I just got off aviation to get onto palo verde/alvernon north and there was a skunk walking east in the cross walk (Not kidding). As I was watching it cross a huge owl flew down and tried grabbing it. Stuck its tail up and ran like heck. Pretty cool to see that.

Seen them in pretty much every part of the state from The Grand Canyon to the Southern Border and everything in between, always close to water be it lakes, streams, or rivers. Hard to believe they are not indigenous.

I've seen them all over the state. Amazing some of the places they are that you wouldn't imagine them being there and surviving.

Brian

post-102-0-46977800-1474299422_thumb.jpg

• Like 1