Sign in to follow this  
azpredator@work

bedding a rifle

My rifle is currently at Phoenix Custom Rifles getting a new muzzle brake installed. Would it be beneficial to have them bed my rifle while it's there? When do you know you need to bed a rifle? Is there any drawbacks to bedding a rifle?

sako 85 finnlite 300 wsm

Thanks for the help,

Wade

i wouldnt take a BB gun to them. Get ahold of spedygoss on here.

• Like 1

I always recommend bedding. When done correctly it never hurts and almost always improves a rifles accuracy. When tuning up a rifle I never want to wonder if there was something I could have done to squeak out that extra little bit of accuracy. Bedding, floating the barrel and brass prep including sorting by case volume ensures your rifle is running at its peak potential.

If you are one of those guys that think hitting a paper plate at 100 yards is good enough bedding probably won't gain you anything. But if you are trying to maximize your rifles potential then bedding is an important step.

• Like 1

Bedding is positive. Now is the time since your rifle is taken apart. Go for it.

Bedding a stock takes out some variables. Consistency helps accuracy.

PCR does great bedding work. They do great work on everything I have seen and shot too. I own 3 rifles built by them. Plans for a 4th next year are in the works.

I'll second what Lance had to say on PCR. I've only had one built there but a second is in the works.

Next year, once I pay off a credit card for some medical bills my wife incurred, will be a short barreled (20-22") lightweight short action deer/elk mountain medium range (600-700 yard) hunting rifle in 7RSAUM or 6.5 4S.

R700 or custom short action

Proof Research or Bartlein #3 fluted barrel 1:9" for 7mm, 1:8" for the 6.5mm twist (still undecided on Proof and if I can get one that short)

McMillan Hunter's Edge or Manners MCS EH-1 stock

Timney 510

Seekins 20MOA rail and rings (both alloys)

March 3-24x52 FFP FML-1

I will be looking at the 168 HVLD for the 7mm, or was hoping for the 150-160 Matrix in the 6.5, but Matrix just sold to a Canadian company, so not sure what they will do in the future.

• Like 1

My goodness!!! That should be sweet!!! I've got a model 7 sitting here that's going to be chambered in either of those. As always please create a thread on the progress!!

I'm interested to know why someone says they wouldn't take a BB gun to them??? Bad experience?

I had a rifle bedded by them. They did a great job on it. Mauser action, so a little harder to work with and he took the time to bed both the action and the bottom metal so they are perfectly seated.

• Like 1

So did buy a March scope? We talked earlier this year about them...

Next year, once I pay off a credit card for some medical bills my wife incurred, will be a short barreled (20-22") lightweight short action deer/elk mountain medium range (600-700 yard) hunting rifle in 7RSAUM or 6.5 4S.

Proof Research or Bartlein #3 fluted barrel 1:9" for 7mm, 1:8" for the 6.5mm twist (still undecided on Proof and if I can get one that short)

Timney 510

March 3-24x52 FFP FML-1

I will be looking at the 168 HVLD for the 7mm, or was hoping for the 150-160 Matrix in the 6.5, but Matrix just sold to a Canadian company, so not sure what they will do in the future.

Timney 510

March 3-24x52 FFP FML-1