Hoss50

Hanging in an area with no trees?

I have a cow elk hunt in december and the area where I am likely to camp and hopefully skin a few elk this year doesn't have real trees to try and hang from. Does anyone have a good method or idea how to hang an elk in the open?

Last year we cleaned 2 of ours on the deck of a flatbed trailer with tarps on the deck. This year we won't have that option. I want to avoid ground cleaning if possible.

The only thing I can think of is to try and build something to put in a receiver hitch on my truck.

Thoughts?

I ground clean everything. Careful knife work and you will be fine. Skin and flip if you're quartering.

Here are a few ideas, not bad priced?

post-2686-0-84598900-1476502773_thumb.png

post-2686-0-20614800-1476502793_thumb.png

• Like 2

I'd either use the hide like a blanket or a tarp (light and fit easily in a pack when needed). Same thing everyone uses for antelope in sage country to keep the meat from tasting like the local bushes.

Check out "gutless method" on YouTube. Best way to IMO to field care for any animal. By not opening up the chest cavity, the meat remains much cleaner. Not to mention that it's much easier to pack out the elk if driving up to it isn't an option.

• Like 3

First time doing gutless on my elk this year, I would highly recommend it, particularly if you are doing it alone. I had my whole elk in game bags within 2 hours.

• Like 1

I assumed you did gutless method and just wanted to hang the meet while you were still at camp... if it is your first time doing gutless method please don't forget the tenderloins.... seen it happen too many times

Tarps. Gutless method leaves too much meat behind unless your packin way out or alone. If your hunt is in dec it should be cold enuf to qtr up and let cool down for a day or two or three.