GreyGhost85

"Good to a thousand" mentality??

Yup climbing up into a tree stand isn't an unfair advantage to remain undetected. Sitting on a water hole that deer depend on for survival in a concealed ground blind. It's the entire goal to remain undetected. Why do we wear camouflage then. Isn't that an unfair advantage. Sorry but It's all unfair regardless of distance. We have weapons for crying out load.

IMO it has everything to do with how proficient you are with your desired method. The guy with an old 30-30 with no scope that never practices blasting at running deer he just jumped at 100 yards is less ethical than me shooting at 700 yards.

You can argue both ways for the rest of eternity. The bottom line is there are guys who can't shoot no matter the distance. There are guys that can shoot close but not far. There are guys that can shoot close and far. It will always be that way. The guys that can't shoot will always be shooting at deer. No matter what. To single out one group of long range guys and not the other though doesn't make sense to me. Because it's not long range vs short range. It's people who can't shoot vs those that can.

• Like 6

Man. Can't believe my topic is still goin. Gotta be my new record. It was originally started for people that have no business shooting 200 yards, much less 1000. I am a long range shooter. Guilty. I practice a lot and am very confident at long ranges. It just bothers me that every Tom, Dick and Harry thinks they are Chris Kyle nowadays. This thread wasn't to bash those that truly are proficient killers at long distances, but to see if people are seeing a trend now where everybody thinks they are proficient killers at 1,000 yards. If i can gain an edge using trail cams, long range rifles and big optics, i am going to until law prevents me from doing so. Just wish more people would put in as much time and effort as some of do to practice and make consistent, clean kills.

• Like 2

My friends hunt starts Friday and he has yet to even make it to the range. He says he will go tomorrow....... My wife has been practicing out to 550 yards, she has been to the range 3 times in less than 2 months practicing for her hunt (also starts Friday). I can clearly make my choice for ethical even if she shoots a deer at 550 and he never fires a shot......

If B&C says it is unethical, then it is. Anyone want to buy my long range rig? :P I will throw in some 2way radios and a rangefinder. For the right deal, I could probably include my bipod and scope. The gun shoots minute of deer with open sights.

I have went through 550 rounds in the last 2 months getting ready for my hunt. Does that mean i am going to shoot one at 1000? 99% chance i will not. I have yet to shoot one past 550 yards. The only reason I practice out that far (farthest 1400) is too make the 500 600 yard shots easier. Just because you have the right equipment does not mean you can shoot it. Practice makes perfect untill mother nature gets involved.

• Like 1

IMO I do not consider shooting an animal at extended distances hunting. Many people do it, but its just not for me. I have yet to shoot a big game animal farther than 190 yards.

With all due respect idgaf, I too have a different philosophy when it comes to hunting. However if someone practices enough to become proficient at long range and can do it ethically, I wouldn't consider it "not hunting". It takes a lot of work, kind of like someone who chooses to hunt with a longbow or whatever tool they find gets the most out of the experience.

That said, there are a LOT of portrayals of hunting (think hunting tv shows out of a permanent blind over a feedlot) I don't consider hunting at all - so we all have that line. It's different for everyone.

• Like 3

I wouldn't say it's not hunting, but it makes it a lot easier to kill out. They don't even know you're in the woods at 500 yards away.

They dont know im in the woods when im 10 yards away.

killing is killing, regardless of range. Hunting is all the moments leading up to that squeeze of the trigger.

• Like 1

I wouldn't say it's not hunting, but it makes it a lot easier to kill out. They don't even know you're in the woods at 500 yards away.

killing is killing, regardless of range. Hunting is all the moments leading up to that squeeze of the trigger.

At least they got a fighting chance at 10 yards. At 500 you gotta be a bull in a china cabinet for them not to notice you

At least they got a fighting chance at 10 yards. At 500 you gotta be a bull in a china cabinet for them not to notice you

True. For me 90% of the fun is getting close, but everybody's got their own preference. And rifle guys dont usually have a lot of time to work with. Those week long hunts can be awfully short. Its pretty sweet having 9 weeks of archery deer season. :D

My rifle is good to a thousand.... Heck it can probably shoot a bullet to 3000, most rifles can. But I can't, at least not yet. 5-600 yds and a critter is in trouble tho. I believe in always getting as close as possible. I have no problem with guys shooting as far a they are PROFICIENT with shooting. Key word PROFICIENT. A man has to know his limitations and right now mine isn't 1000. Some day it may be. The phases I do hate hearing are "if they ain't flying they ain't dying" and " it was so big I had to take the(super far) shot" or " I had to take the (far shot) cause I had to fill my tag, I was a little one anyways so biggie if I didn't kill him" me- did you hit him??? Guy-" I know I missed".

Respect for the animal we hunt and our proficiency with the weapon we have should be the two deciding factors we should think about before taking the shot. Not "filling a tag" or a good "hero" pic.... Sadly for many the later out weigh the former.

Hunting is all the moments leading up to that squeeze of the trigger.

this is true, but it takes away the 2nd hardest part of the hunt. the first is locating them. but if you can shoot them from where you located them, theres a lot less "hunting" involved usually. if i had a little kid, i dont think i would want them shooting far or out of one of those triclawps things. learning to get close and have the chance of busting them is part of hunting. if you can them out of a vice with a sniper rifle from 800 that aint teaching them much except how to pull a trigger

• Like 2