az41mag

My Kaibab Buck

Thought I’d share this year’s Kaibab buck. I had this hunt two years ago, and felt very blessed to draw the tag again this year. Things started off kind of slow and I wasn’t seeing much in the way of big bucks. There were days that it was difficult to find even a small fork horn, and I was starting to get a little worried. Seeing deer after deer being hauled out in the back of pickups or hanging up in other camps didn’t help the confidence level either. I finally spotted this guy in the edge of some thick brush and dead trees about an hour before dark. I made a 70 yard broadside shot with a “new to me” 257 Wby mag. After the shot I only saw him take a couple of hops before he disappeared into the trees and brush. It took some time to find him by a very thin blood trail, and I was extremely fortunate to have some help to locate him. It was well after dark when we finally found him, and the feeling of relief that rushed over me was beyond words. I am absolutely thrilled with this buck! G&F aged him at 4.5 years old and measures 24in wide.

This hunt reminded me that the Kaibab is truly a special place, and I can't wait to return. It was also a reminder to keep hunting even if you aren’t seeing what you want, because you never know what will turn up next. I have to give a huge thanks to Rick, Casey, and Jessica. Without all of your help, this wouldn’t have been possible. Good luck to all of those with the late tags… it ought to be a great year.

post-5555-0-17065000-1478229841_thumb.jpg

post-5555-0-04519800-1478229862_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

Great job and awesome buck Clint!! Sorry I wasn't able to be there and share the moment. Hopefully next time i'll get to tag along again.

Rick