Green Bullet

backpacking tent and bag recommendations

I haven't done any backpack hunting but it's something i'd like to work into my routine every now and then. i'm not giving up on my travel trailer lol...but want to mix it up a bit. i'm pretty much set equipment wise except a good tent and bag.

I really like the kuiu tent and bag systems but honestly i'm not looking to drop 1000 on that quite yet. i understand you get what you pay for and weight is king, but wondering if you guys have recommendations for a "good value" 2 man tent and bag. My use case will likely be the Dec/Jan OTC hunts so it'll need to provide good warmth/shelter. it'll need to pack down decently to fit into my 5200 icon.

On the topic, any recommendations on a pad are welcome as well.

Thanks

Miles

Guest akaspecials

Cheapest: Walmart yoga mat, 0 degree synthetic bag, and a tarp. (Synthetic instead of down in case it gets wet since you only have a tarp). This is what I use.

More expensive: Thermarest, 0 degree down bag (they have treated now that are resistant to moisture), 3 season tent (make sure it can stand up to heavy snow if you'll be in the mountains. Having a tent cave in under the wieght of snow sucks at 2 am.)

You may want to consider a bivy instead of a tent if you will be solo. My next purchase is an Eberlestock Micro Condo. You can open it so you get warmth from a fire on those really cold back country nights.

do you want a 2 man tent and a 2 man bag? or a 2 man tent and a 1 man bag?

Ok. that said.

I like Western Mountaineering bags. What I have learned from talking to manufactures of sleeping bags, there is not a rating system that is standardized in the industry. Some go with, "It will keep you alive at this temp" and others fudge the numbers and some keep you comfortable. Western Mountaineering keeps you comfortable at the rated temp. Which is a pretty open ended claim, but from what I have experienced is accurate. I do use a pad and an ultralight cot. (LuxuryLite)

My tent choice is Hilleberg. Weight to strength/size ratio is unmatched. The price is high but they are amazing. They are a full 2 walled, 3 or 4 season tent. The tent goes up with the outer wall attached so the inside stays dry even when setting it up in a downpour. Look at their site. The Nallo 2 is a great 2 man tent.

I try to follow the buy once, cry once rule. But I haven't always and have a garage full of lessons to show for it.

• Like 1

I have a big Agnes copper 1man tent. Only two pounds. Can't remember how much I spent $300 ish. I use an xtherm pad as it has a high r value and easy to blow up. A little "crunchy" sounding but not bad. As far as bags, it's a personal thing, but I would look at enlightened equipment quilts. A 20* quilt only weighs 1.5 pounds. You can customize them to fit your needs.

I have the 5200 icon and it will easily fit all my gear and 5 days worth of food glass etc. you said it correctly, you get what you pay for, light and quality do not come cheap. I have spent a small fortune getting lighter stuff but it is nice to go for 5 days and only have about 40 lbs on my back.

• Like 2

When I am backpack hunting, I usually just use a bivy sack. It's windproof and waterproof and lightweight. AZ is blessed with fairly stable weather and so you can always check the weather forecast before the hunt and see if you want a tent or if a bivy is likely to be enough. I have a 2 man backpack tent made by big agnes. But for years we only used a tarp, and then moved up to a boat cover that my husband found on the road. So you can get by with much cheaper options than expensive backpack tents.

here is my backpack camp with bivy sack from a hunt a few years ago.

post-1-0-99155500-1480609283_thumb.jpg

and here are pics of my husband huddled in a tube tent during a hunt many years ago before we had good gear!

post-1-0-06679200-1480609247.jpg

post-1-0-00280400-1480609227.jpg

here is my much better backpack gear (big agnes two man tent, thermarest inflatable sleeping pad and montbell 0 degree down bag)

post-1-0-74710200-1480609373.jpg

If you get an expensive sleeping bag, I can highly recommend Montbell 0 degree bags. I LOVE mine and use it a lot! They back up their gear too. When I had a zipper problem, I mailed them the bag and they fixed it for free. Actually Big Agnes did the same for my tent when one of the poles broke after years. They sent me a free replacement.

• Like 2

Here's how I started out. I use a 30 degree a slumberjack bag and a eureka solo tent. Very light for the money. 59.00 for the bag on sale and 89.00 for the tent. Now it's vey small tent but I did spend 2 days snowed in and was able to cook and survive but there's no sitting up or even kneeling. I now run an rei 2 man with duel vestibule. I still run the same bag, if it's going to be cold I run a 99.00 bivy sack with the bag. I've been down to 15 degrees in this and it's cold but not bad. I just add clothes if I need warmer. Still pretty lite tent for 179.00 on sale. I believe it's under 4 lbs. and it does do 2 guys well. 1 guy and it's a palace.

For about $500 you can get an ultralight setup that will last many years. There are so many big agnes 2 man tents that are under 3 lbs. My personal favorite is the fly creek ul2. You can pick one up on sale or on ebay for about $250. They weigh a little over 2 lbs and hold up real well in poor hunting conditions. Next You need a decent pad. Sea to summit sells an affordable lightweight pad thats actually really comfortable. It comes in right at 12 OZ and costs about $80. Last there are many companies that sell down quilts/bags. Find something with a 20 degree rating and under 2.5 lbs and you'll be set

• Like 1

I haven't done any backpack hunting but it's something i'd like to work into my routine every now and then. i'm not giving up on my travel trailer lol...but want to mix it up a bit. i'm pretty much set equipment wise except a good tent and bag.

I really like the kuiu tent and bag systems but honestly i'm not looking to drop 1000 on that quite yet. i understand you get what you pay for and weight is king, but wondering if you guys have recommendations for a "good value" 2 man tent and bag. My use case will likely be the Dec/Jan OTC hunts so it'll need to provide good warmth/shelter. it'll need to pack down decently to fit into my 5200 icon.

On the topic, any recommendations on a pad are welcome as well.

Thanks

Miles

You might take a look at Seek Outside Tipis, they are very high quality, wind/waterproof, and when combined with a stove for heat to dry wet clothing or just get warm after a long day in the field is HUGE. You can also use it to cook on so there is no need to carry a stove and fuel. A tipi with stove is at or far below the weight of a good 4 season tent.

The one listed below would make an excellent backpacking shelter with a stove and jack added. I have their 4 man and a large stove for late season Colorado hunts.

https://seekoutside.com/the-cimarron/

https://seekoutside.com/silvertip/

Check out REI, they have a couple stores in the phoenix area.

I've got a bunch of REI bags, tents & packs that I've been using forever. Their gear is considerable cheaper than a lot of the 'big name' stuff and holds up very well. Plus REI is a co-op, so if you become a member, you get a dividend and an annual 20% discount on one item, or something like that. I don't remember the exact terms, but I remember I went in there about 6 or 7 years ago to buy a long trip pack and picked up the REI Mars pack. Went to the register and the gal asked me if I wanted to use my dividend and discount for the pack? Heck yah I do! That $220ish pack went home with me for a little over a hundred bucks and I'm still using it. I also picked up a 0° down bag from them at least 7 years ago for about $350 or so, that weighs in at 2 lbs. & compresses to the size of just a little bigger than a football.

So you build up a credit each year? Does it stay if you don't use it? I got a bunch of stuff in an online cart right now and saw the become a member for $20 thing. Sounds awesome! Rei does seem to have some pretty good deals.

I think cactusjack pretty much nailed everything I thought after reading your post.

I will also agree with CouesWhitetail regarding a bivy. I went floorless this year and picked up a bivy to help protect my non-drydown, down bag. One of the best investments I made out of everything. I chose the Borah Gear Snowyside bivy which is waterproof nylon on the bottom and eVent on top. Saved my bag from condensation in a single wall Supertarp, saved my bag during the rather wicked storm that blew through the Monday before Thanksgiving, and added warmth to a 12* bag when temps got quite a bit colder than I expected. And relative to other eVent bivvies, this one was reasonably priced and super light. Only downside is the ridiculously small zipper pulls.

So you build up a credit each year? Does it stay if you don't use it? I got a bunch of stuff in an online cart right now and saw the become a member for $20 thing. Sounds awesome! Rei does seem to have some pretty good deals.

I know the discount will expire, but I dont know about the dividend. I have everything I need now, so havent been back out shopping for a few years.

I've got the kifaru sawtooth with the medium sized wood stove. Have only used the stove a few times but the shelter is awesome we slept 4 guys in it in October and it weighs around 4 pounds.

I've got a 30 degree kelty bag but I think more important than the bag is a pad and I ended up with a thermarest. I wish the pad was a little bit lighter but you will thank yourself later for packing it in.