mattys281

The Dinky Deer Thread - Let's see the SMALLEST one you've got???

Heck all my buddies call me a trophy spike hunter.

• Like 3

I've killed some little guy over the years. No pictures to post though. As far as this site goes, the most imfaumous "dink" was the one shot at 1100-1300 yards by the gunsmith out of safford. Amazing shot on a meat buck!

• Like 2

I've killed some little guy over the years. No pictures to post though. As far as this site goes, the most imfaumous "dink" was the one shot at 1100-1300 yards by the gunsmith out of safford. Amazing shot on a meat buck!

Thats some talent. I dont think I could hit a deer the size of a garage door at half that range. Well, maybe if there was no wind and he was sitting real still....

It may mot be a deer but I got an elk I will never forget. I had a cow tag and put an arrow through one. As I was walking up behind the dead elk I saw balls between the back legs. Talk about a "maalox moment". I ran around to the front and there were no antlers. As my tag actually said antlerless I was good to go. He was a tasty little guy.

The title may say 'dinky deer' but this is all about any small animal that was a big trophy. Lets see a pic if youve got one. :)

I ate many archery tags before finally getting caught up in the middle of a fork, a spike and a doe mule deer. I pursued the fork in the direction he fed, keeping the wind in favor thinking he would feed back to the doe. Instead, the spike and doe eventually worked their way back across me on their way to the fork.

The spike stopped broadside, and I remember thinking, "No way, there is a deer in front of me at 41 yards, without a tree in the way!?" I'll never forget that first smack of an arrow, and watching the fork bounce over the hill, followed by the doe, and nothing else.

post-3844-0-64322800-1487602144_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Just so happens that my 2016 deer is my smallest. It is my first coues deer and is by far my most rewarding deer ever. I Moved to az in 2014 and these things intrigue the heck out of me. I went solo on a leftover tag and it took me till day 5 to get it done. To get to where I was seeing deer I was having to hike hour and a half in some nasty rocky thorny crap. It was a great experience including some close encounters with an angry sow with 2 cubs and a rattlesnake in a rockslide. I was able to get the kill shot on video thru my 15s. His skull will always have a place on my mantle because of the great memories and work associated with that hunt. I am convinced that any size coues is a trophy.

post-13964-0-81979000-1487613843_thumb.jpeg

post-13964-0-68644800-1487613870_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

2014 buck...

What can I say, I was running low on beer and pizza.

post-11051-0-83245800-1487615848.jpg

• Like 2

I've been lucky and this is my smallest Coues.

Cropof1stcoues.jpg

If we talk about Mule deer than I've killed like 10 spikes and 2 points.

• Like 4

attachicon.gif20151203_150119.jpg

My last kill in 2016

I know this isnt a contest, but dang it I feel like you just won a prize of some sort with that picture. I'll bet that was the best tasting deer to ever land in your freezer. :D

• Like 1

I shot a very small buck 36 years ago in unit 34A. Shot him at about 30 yards. The other side was a 2 or 3 inch spike as I recall. Some where I have a picture. This antler is very nicely shaped for such a small antler, even appears to have a small eye guard.

post-3154-0-74984900-1487626655_thumb.jpg

post-3154-0-22709300-1487626802_thumb.jpg

• Like 6