Sea 2'er

3/17 CC Hits?

Water that fell 6 months ago doesn't matter.

Most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Lol

Everything in this state that has to do with water is cumulative. Aquifers, resevoirs, stock tanks.

We'll just agree to disagree.

• Like 3

Everything in this state that has to do with water is cumulative. Aquifers, resevoirs, stock tanks.

For those things yes you're right. Probably the first time I've ever agreed with bonecollector777 but for antler growth precipitation 6 months ago doesn't matter.

I think the map from the last 90 days is a good indicator of what type of antler growth we can expect. It appears 90% of Northern Arizona, and where the elk are located are at 110-200% above average. Looks pretty promising for antler growth IMO. The moisture we receive from now until July will help especially the sooner it falls. The water we received 6 months ago should help the health of the elk/deer through the winter. Who knows though, a healthy animal coming out of winter, and then benefits from 110-200% average moisture could help the antlers even more. Any moisture is great, it just helps more at certain times of the year.

IMO, its not as much the amount of rain, its the timing. Rains from now until the monsoons, compounded with a moderated winter, would make this an epic year.

• Like 2

I think the map from the last 90 days is a good indicator of what type of antler growth we can expect. It appears 90% of Northern Arizona, and where the elk are located are at 110-200% above average. Looks pretty promising for antler growth IMO. The moisture we receive from now until July will help especially the sooner it falls. The water we received 6 months ago should help the health of the elk/deer through the winter. Who knows though, a healthy animal coming out of winter, and then benefits from 110-200% average moisture could help the antlers even more. Any moisture is great, it just helps more at certain times of the year.

Stan, how the heck you been Man long time no see. hope the kids are doing well.

Elk need green grass full of nutrients for good Antler growth. Water in Stock tanks keeps them from dying from thirst. There's a chance if there's a lot of water on the ground the Bulls don't have to use energy to walk long distances for it so they may help a tiny bit but for the most part they need the grass. Which doesn't grow until about March- April in most of the state. Same way I don't think rain at the end of July or in August helps them. Because they are pretty much done growing by then.
  • Like 4

Man! Some of you guys seriously would argue over the color of crap. Geeeezzzz..... Lighten up and just try to be postive, it won't make your winky shrivel if you let just one comment or opinion go by with picking it apart.

Good luck tag holders! I hope all your elk don't die of thirst before you get there. :lol:

• Like 8

IMO, its not as much the amount of rain, its the timing. Rains from now until the monsoons, compounded with a moderated winter, would make this an epic year.

• Like 2

I got an elk tag! Rain, snow, shine, tornado, earthquake, brown grass or green grass, don't care. I get to go. 😜😜😜.

Brian

• Like 10

Best I can tell is we have had about 4-1/2 feet of snow in Alpine this winter (counting about 5" a few days ago). But that is about the same amount of snowfall I documented for last year as well. Years ago we used to have significantly more snow.......some years between 8'-12'.

For those things yes you're right. Probably the first time I've ever agreed with bonecollector777 but for antler growth precipitation 6 months ago doesn't matter.

Wow, I too agree. If things go dry like they are predicting. This snow won't mean much. The snow isn't going to help May/June/July if it's dry. Just ask a cattle rancher about rain and quality of his beef.

Wow, I too agree. If things go dry like they are predicting. This snow won't mean much. The snow isn't going to help May/June/July if it's dry. Just ask a cattle rancher about rain and quality of his beef.

While future rain is essentially educated guessing, I can personally report tanks and lakes in the Flagstaff/Williams area are fuller than they have been in years. Upper Lake Mare was recently spilling over the dam, Mormon Lake has significantly more water than in recent years, and even the small tanks I was by last weekend we're quite full.

While future rain is essentially educated guessing, I can personally report tanks and lakes in the Flagstaff/Williams area are fuller than they have been in years. Upper Lake Mare was recently spilling over the dam, Mormon Lake has significantly more water than in recent years, and even the small tanks I was by last weekend we're quite full.

I judge rainfall by Mormon lake. It seems to get dryer every year so if there is water in it- hallelujah