Sign in to follow this  
Cell4soul

Public Range Frustration

When I sighned up at the jim jones this yr I told the guy it was 10 times better than Usery and he said everyone says that.I never liked Usery at all.

• Like 2

I HIGHLY recommend you becomega a member of Phoenix Rod & Gun club!!!!! I never have these issues and can shoot 500 yards often.

• Like 5

I went once to usery, between all the people, the drill sargaents, and non stop semi auto fire I don't know how a guy relaxes and shoots good. Jim Jones is definately more relaxed.

• Like 1

I remember the old days when there was just one rangemaster and at time only a few shooters so we would call the range cold when we wanted. There have been a few accidents out there and a multitude of near misses like when the line was called hot with people still downrange coming back from the 300 yard target.

I'm a member and try to go once a month but with so many people in the valley and more and more people getting into shooting I find myself usually only going there to sight in a rifle or shoot a new gun and most of the time I'm out of there by 8:30.

When I shot silhouette I would go to the 500 yard range and take my reloading stuff with me and load from my camper shell.

I got scolded like a child for putting a sand bag on my paper targets when a dust devil hit to keep them from flying away, during a "cold range" last weekend. smh.

I had the same thing happened to me on the Range in Tucson by the fairgrounds for, and this is no exaggeration, dropping a pen on my table as I walked by during a cold range!

I got scolded like a child for putting a sand bag on my paper targets when a dust devil hit to keep them from flying away, during a "cold range" last weekend. smh.

I had the same thing happened to me on the Range in Tucson by the fairgrounds for, and this is no exaggeration, dropping a pen on my table as I walked by during a cold range!
Yeah I think touching the table or putting anything on it during a cold range is the worst thing you can do there...I've had same for grabbing a water bottle.

Yeah I think touching the table or putting anything on it during a cold range is the worst thing you can do there...I've had same for grabbing a water bottle.
I also had them yell at me for, literally having my toes ON the yellow line.... not being completely behind it on a cold range. No joke.

I also had them yell at me for, literally having my toes ON the yellow line.... not being completely behind it on a cold range. No joke.
I believe it. I see both sides especially when it comes to safety...they don't know you from anyone else, but jumping folks and yelling at them just puts everyone on edge and unnecessary. Always seems like a couple of those guys have an authoritarian kick going. Others more laid back and easy to deal with.
  • Like 1

I HIGHLY recommend you becomega a member of Phoenix Rod & Gun club!!!!! I never have these issues and can shoot 500 yards often.

I went there once last year due to my same frustrations with Usery Mountain. I did like the 100 yard range I shot at as it seems they were more relaxed, a lot less people and no range Nazis. It seemed like they hold a lot of competition and fun shoots that would restrict range time on their longer ranges, is this not the case? I generally only have time to shoot on weekends.

I'll have to agree that there are range Nazi's that are supposed to be range officers, but I am willing to bet those safety officers with any time on a public range have had a loaded gun pointed at them at least once, this past Friday I was at Ben Avery, a shooter chambered a 30-06 into his 300 Win Mag, when of course the bolt head wouldn't extract the smaller case, the guy then proceeded to try to fire it. That's one job I wouldn't want.

• Like 1

They do hold a lot of competitions on the weekends during the winter months, but not very many during the summer. Even during the winter months the competitions are usually done by 1pm. The range is opened up after the events. The 500 yard range is open to all members on Friday mornings. I usually shoot 500 on the weekday afternoons or weekend afternoons. This is a lot easier during the summer months. No range Nazi's and a very relaxed atmosphere!

Up here in Chino Valley, the range only goes to 100. For that reason and others, I set up a range out in the hills. I have buried target stands at 50, 100, 150, 200, 250, 300, 400 and 500 yards. I can set up targets at all those ranges simultaneously. The wind and heat are my biggest issues these days.

• Like 1