Sign in to follow this  
Gunit

NM Antelope

Congratulations and thanks for sharing. :)

TJ

Outstanding!!! :D

My son and I are heading over to New Mexico in a couple of weeks. We have never hunted pronghorn, and we are VERY excited!

Thanks for sharing with the site!

S.

:)

Well done!!

Here is the story;

I drew a tag in NM unit 13 for the Handicap hunt, there were 10 tags for the unit. There is a large ranch that is owned by the RMEF and operated by the state that is open to public hunting and has good access so I decided to start there. As it turns out most of the other tag holders decided to do the same thing. I watched several other hunters take bucks and in the afternoon the area finally started to quiet down. I had a decent opportunity to kill a very unusual buck whose horns looked like a whitetail with only a main beam, his horns spread out wide and then curved forward, the horns were long but very thin. Another hunter came up on us a buggered them so I decided to keep looking. Late in the afternoon I glassed the buck I shot bedded down in a swale, only his horns and forehead could be seen above the grass. He was relatively close to a road but out of sight of it. We watched from a 1/2 mile away as several trucks went down the road without knowing he was there. The trick to hunting from a wheelchair is to figure out how to get yourself into a position where you have an opportunity without running the thing off. We continued to watch from afar and he seemed very relaxed in his bed, several trucks came and went while we watched without spooking him so we made a plan. We drove around until we cut the distance to about 600 yards and watched him some more. We studied the landmarks and then drove down the road until we thought we were opposite the buck, pulled off the road and got ready. After few minutes of looking I found him again glassing, only the tips of his horns were visible. We got into position me with my rifle and my buddy Larry with the rangefinder, and waited. About a half hour later the buck stood up looked at us and started slowly walking away. He stopped and Larry ranged him at 335 then he started moving again, a few steps more and he stopped again. Larry said 339 and I held for that distance and touched off a shot. I lost him with the recoil and Larry flinched and lost him too. There was nothing out there, all was quiet and still. We waited about 10 minutes and headed out to where he had been, when we got about 250 yards out I spotted a patch of white and put my binos up and there he was, he had dropped right in his tracks. I was shooting a Weatherby Classic Mark V with a Zeiss 3.5x10 scope in 7mm mag shooting a hand loaded Barnes TTSX 140 gr and 74 gr of R22 at 3260 fps.

post-13720-0-17674500-1502772363_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Here is the story;

I drew a tag in NM unit 13 for the Handicap hunt, there were 10 tags for the unit. There is a large ranch that is owned by the RMEF and operated by the state that is open to public hunting and has good access so I decided to start there. As it turns out most of the other tag holders decided to do the same thing. I watched several other hunters take bucks and in the afternoon the area finally started to quiet down. I had a decent opportunity to kill a very unusual buck whose horns looked like a whitetail with only a main beam, his horns spread out wide and then curved forward, the horns were long but very thin. Another hunter came up on us a buggered them so I decided to keep looking. Late in the afternoon I glassed the buck I shot bedded down in a swale, only his horns and forehead could be seen above the grass. He was relatively close to a road but out of sight of it. We watched from a 1/2 mile away as several trucks went down the road without knowing he was there. The trick to hunting from a wheelchair is to figure out how to get yourself into a position where you have an opportunity without running the thing off. We continued to watch from afar and he seemed very relaxed in his bed, several trucks came and went while we watched without spooking him so we made a plan. We drove around until we cut the distance to about 600 yards and watched him some more. We studied the landmarks and then drove down the road until we thought we were opposite the buck, pulled off the road and got ready. After few minutes of looking I found him again glassing, only the tips of his horns were visible. We got into position me with my rifle and my buddy Larry with the rangefinder, and waited. About a half hour later the buck stood up looked at us and started slowly walking away. He stopped and Larry ranged him at 335 then he started moving again, a few steps more and he stopped again. Larry said 339 and I held for that distance and touched off a shot. I lost him with the recoil and Larry flinched and lost him too. There was nothing out there, all was quiet and still. We waited about 10 minutes and headed out to where he had been, when we got about 250 yards out I spotted a patch of white and put my binos up and there he was, he had dropped right in his tracks. I was shooting a Weatherby Classic Mark V with a Zeiss 3.5x10 scope in 7mm mag shooting a hand loaded Barnes TTSX 140 gr and 74 gr of R22 at 3260 fps.

Very awesome story!!! Awesome!!!!!

S.

:)

That is a great story and a huge accomplishment. Wide open flat country and you did it in a wheelchair! Awesome!

• Like 2