Beaton

What do you guys think?

Sucks that it happened, Ive had it happen when I was a kid a few times in washington state back in the late 70's one reason I never hunt near people.

Happened in the kaibab kinda in the 90's but it was no biggy. shot a pretty decent non typical buck laying down. he took off running like a bat out of heck. he ran and ran never stopped. we lost blood train figured we would go back and look for him after we got some lunch. about 2 hours later were driving down this road to the far side, in a camp a guy is skinning the buck I hit. I stopped and asked him where he shot it.. said about 400 yards from his camp. said the thing had a xx75 and a wasp broadhead sticking out of his back. he even gave it back to me. there was a pause for a min and I said keep the deer you killed it. he was pretty relieved cause there were 2 of us and we were bigger and 30 years younger.

the guy didnt do anything wrong, that buck ran a min of a mile and I could tell by the guys attitude he wasnt bsing me. we ended up seieng him every year for a good 6-7 years during archery season before they closed it to draw only. always said hi to one another and feed info back and forth.

so every situation is different.

Ive worried about it only when I hunt with my daughter. being her first animal it would probably come to blows depending on the circumstances. if the guy is bsing and you can tell he is then yeah somethings going to happen. but if the guy is sincere made one or too bad shots and hit it were it could die and actually killed it more power to him its his.

dont forget there is ALWAYS 2 SIDES to the story and the one telling the story tends to exagerate a tad in his favor.(not saying this is what happen but people cant judge it with out here both sides.

Just read this and my first thought was that a beautiful trophy elk was treated with such disrespect.

How can you respect something your going to kill I mean seriously!

^^^^ easily. You hunt it, get lucky enough to harvest an animal and give it respect. I been hunting since I was ten. Have been fortunate enough to harvest any thing from young spikes to mature trophies, all received my upmost respect. To hope for a clean swift and painless kill out of respect. When you wound or lose an animal that pit in your stomach is respect for that animals.

• Like 1

Sucks that it happened, Ive had it happen when I was a kid a few times in washington state back in the late 70's one reason I never hunt near people.

Happened in the kaibab kinda in the 90's but it was no biggy. shot a pretty decent non typical buck laying down. he took off running like a bat out of heck. he ran and ran never stopped. we lost blood train figured we would go back and look for him after we got some lunch. about 2 hours later were driving down this road to the far side, in a camp a guy is skinning the buck I hit. I stopped and asked him where he shot it.. said about 400 yards from his camp. said the thing had a xx75 and a wasp broadhead sticking out of his back. he even gave it back to me. there was a pause for a min and I said keep the deer you killed it. he was pretty relieved cause there were 2 of us and we were bigger and 30 years younger.

the guy didnt do anything wrong, that buck ran a min of a mile and I could tell by the guys attitude he wasnt bsing me. we ended up seieng him every year for a good 6-7 years during archery season before they closed it to draw only. always said hi to one another and feed info back and forth.

Ive worried about it only when I hunt with my daughter. being her first animal it would probably come to blows depending on the circumstances. if the guy is bsing and you can tell he is then yeah somethings going to happen. but if the guy is sincere made one or too bad shots and hit it were it could die and actually killed it more power to him its his.

dont forget there is ALWAYS 2 SIDES to the story and the one telling the story tends to exagerate a tad in his favor.(not saying this is what happen but people cant judge it with out here both sides.

Just read this and my first thought was that a beautiful trophy elk was treated with such disrespect.

Do you even hunt?

• Like 1

Do you even hunt?

not since my kids were old enough to hunt big game every drawn tag I get but one went to them in 16 years. I had my fun when I was younger now its there turn if I can legally sign it over.

Archery deer yotes, pdogs yes but mainly help the kids 1st . But then again thats just me.

^^^^ easily. You hunt it, get lucky enough to harvest an animal and give it respect. I been hunting since I was ten. Have been fortunate enough to harvest any thing from young spikes to mature trophies, all received my upmost respect. To hope for a clean swift and painless kill out of respect. When you wound or lose an animal that pit in your stomach is respect for that animals.

I dont harvest I kill. Yes I have wounded animals and it sucks big time. you do your best to find them,but &*&& happens wether it be a rifle or a bow.

I'm not the PC type Cant stand the Word Harvest thats for farmers not for hunters. Hunters go and kill an animal to eat or reduce the population.

I feel the elk, deer all animals that we kill deserve a lot of respect. How could you not respect a bull like that?

Its not that I don't realize that we all KILL the animals we hunt. It is a blood sport and not for everyone. My comment about disrespect was about putting 2 arrows into a mortally wounded Elk from 10 yards to a animal that wasn't yours and had no chance. More like a execution, thus the disrespect comment. This kill was all about the lack of fair chase and what is and isn't ethical. If he had made the original shot and was following up the recovery it would have been the proper thing to do. But to kill this bull this way was disrespectful to the animal and paints us all in a bad light.

Its not that I don't realize that we all KILL the animals we hunt. It is a blood sport and not for everyone. My comment about disrespect was about putting 2 arrows into a mortally wounded Elk from 10 yards to a animal that wasn't yours and had no chance. More like a execution, thus the disrespect comment. This kill was all about the lack of fair chase and what is and isn't ethical. If he had made the original shot and was following up the recovery it would have been the proper thing to do. But to kill this bull this way was disrespectful to the animal and paints us all in a bad light.

I'm not condoning what the guy did or didnt do. I wasnt there and dont know the whole story and dont know his side.

what I am saying is that you know maybe the guy got excited thought the animal was not mortally wounded, he could have been a new hunter who knows.. no one knows but the guide and his hunter that was there at the time.

its part of the game with archery hunting, unless the animal drops withing a 100 yards you really dont know whats going to happen when you find it. alot of us wait x amount of time before we take off tracking it. alot of crap can happen in that time

Even if the bull was mortally wounded I feel the proper thing is to finish the job. If the original hunter had a mortally fatal shot than the bull should be his. But to say the second hunter should have sat there and not finished the bull is disrespectful to me. We as hunters owe it to the animals we hunt to shoot and kill them as fast as possible. That is where respect comes in. I have trophies mounted on the walls in my home. It isn't to show off my kills but to show respect for the animal and the hunt memories.

• Like 1

Do you even hunt?

not since my kids were old enough to hunt big game every drawn tag I get but one went to them in 16 years. I had my fun when I was younger now its there turn if I can legally sign it over.

Archery deer yotes, pdogs yes but mainly help the kids 1st . But then again thats just me.

And that's the example you set for them, no respect for the animals? Do you know what respect is?

Do you even hunt?

And that's the example you set for them, no respect for the animals? Do you know what respect is?
I was thinking the same thing!

Do you even hunt?

Delw is the best forum moderator of all time. But after about 14 years of reading his posts he still makes me shake my head.

Do you even hunt?

Delw is the best forum moderator of all time. But after about 14 years of reading his posts he still makes me shake my head.
And it takes a lot for you to shake your head no. Lol