Sign in to follow this  
lancetkenyon

7E Bull

Congratulations Lance! Couldn’t happen to a nicer guy. Looking forward to the pics and story.

Congrats man. Can't wait to see some pics.

It’s definitely a heck of a bull for one heck of a guy! I was lucky enough to see them and couldn’t be happier for Lance! Awesome story that I’m sure he will share also!

I spent 2 hours typing up a full report this morning. While adding the final few pictures, my computer froze. So I will just post the meat and potato photos and a quick rundown of the day.

2:30 Woke up

3:30 on the road

5:15 at the spot I called in the 6x6

Hiked about 5-6 miles, heard a few distant bugles, no elk seen, hiked back to truck

11:30 back at truck and drive to high point to glass

3:00. Nothing glassed, go check a few water holes for activity, not much

4:00 hear coyotes across meadow, and glass them up, 775 yards, take shot, forget to hold for wind, scare the crap out of coyote as bullet missed his nose by inches

4:30 see tons of recent elk track in mud on road that was not there Wednesday afternoon. Decide to sit a small hill overlooking PJ flats on 3 sides. We could hear people talking to the south. About 10 minutes to sunset, hear a chuckle, then a weak, weird bugle about 1200 yards out. My cousin asked if it was real as I was packing up my gear. Said I was going to check and headed to a smaller hill between. Got to the top, and just as I was creating saw a bull stand up out of his bed. My cousin saw it from the other hill and called me right as I was getting set up for a possible shot. I tried calling him in, but he would just bugle back but not come in. He had my location pegged on the bare hill so I couldn't move. Ranged him at 660-675 while he was moving around. Rechecked and adjusted Shooter app, and Dialed for 660. He finally stepped out broadside at 662 and I sent a 180 Hybrid from my father-in-law's 7RM. Saw through the scope as he hunched and bolted. Unsure of the hit, I Called my cousin to my hill and set my 15s on the exact spot he was. We were not prepared. No packs, lights, etc as we were not expecting a shot.

He walked me in to the spot in the dark using my phone as a marker light. When I finally got to the spot about 30 minutes later, sent him back to the truck to get the gear, headlamps, packs, etc. He drove around to a road that would be closer. With only my flashlight on my phone, I marked the location on Google Earth. Dark, but a half moon helped.

Found some fresh elk tracks that looked like an elk that took off on a hurry, torn up. Followed for about 20 yards, no blood. Just walked in the general direction he was going after that for about 30 yards, and I could smell him. Looked around upwind and found him piled up!!! Super lucky to find him right away without a blood trail.

1:00 am Got him all packed out, 2 trips each for my cousin ans I, about a mile each way. Taylor and Regina made 1 trip each

2:15. Stopped and grabbed a burger and gas/ice in Flagstaff

2:50 back at cabin, on ice in the big ice chest

3:15. Showered and in bed. 24+ hour day.

I shot my bull at 662 yards with my father-in-law's 7RM he asked me to build and kill an elk with when he passed away last year. I accomplished that goal and filled his request. 24+ hour opening day ended with me taking this 6x7 bull at sunset.

I want to Gove a huge thanks to some.of the guys that helped with unit info and encouragement. Azcouesandelk, Flatlander, Hoss50, and Muley224.

20170930_181607_zpslmoq4trg.jpg

20170930_181710_zpsqbrarf7z.jpg

20170930_181409_zpssnnlv12l.jpg

20170930_181303_zpsst6tnnvg.jpg

• Like 24

Well done Lance! Thanks for the pics last night. Got home from vacation with the wife today to see a big write up but nope!! I believe that is more then once that has happen to you. Maybe start writing it on WORD and save as you go ;)

Congrats on a really good bull

Nice bull! Congrats! Sounds like a heck of a shot too. Were you happy with the performance of the hybrid?