Sign in to follow this  
lancetkenyon

7E Bull

On a side note, once you verify zero and drops, true your ballistics, and practice practice practice, trust your rifle and ballistics program.

I took a shot at a coyote an hour before, at 775 yards. I honestly do not know exactly where the bullet went, but it was close the way the coyote acted. I could have hit him and he bolted, or I could have missed him high or left with the wind that I did not take into account. But with no visible bullet splash, no telling.

It messed with my mind.

On my bull an hour later, when I spotted him, I got a solid rest. Front bipod extended, rear butt stock on the roots of a downed tree, me hanging/resting on the roots too. Sitting, I was rock solid. 662 for me is usually an easy shot. But the possible miss on the coyote, and doubts had me flustered. Plus the adrenaline pumping didn't help matters at all.

So I verified conditions with the rangefinder. 23.42 baro, 60°F, 3° downhill, zero wind as it had literally died to dead calm 1 minute before the shot.

I had a great rest, and when he stepped out, I held on his elbow and squeezed slowly. I saw the flash, the bull hunch and bolt, but I honestly didn't know the shot.

When I found my bull, the exit was absolutely perfect. Vertical was dead centered up/down, exit was where it was aimed. Once I could see the entrance, not knowing exactly how his leg was positioned, the most I could have been off was 1" right.

At the shot, the last minute doubts were floating around my head. But my ballistics, environmental inputs, rifle zero, and apparently hold were perfect. I let the rifle and bullet do the real work. My shooting solution from Shooter App was 2.9MIL, w. 68.2" of drop.

Even my drop chart I printed and taped to my scope before the hunt would have been spot on for the conditions I expected to be hunting in.

20171003_083655_zpsre3v37ss.jpg

• Like 3

Congratulations on your bull Lance. Way to get it done.

It is great to see you fulfill your goal of taking a bull with that rifle.

• Like 1

Congrats again ! Awesome Bull ! I thought that was you in there on that hill . It was probably us you heard to the south of you. Thought it was your truck and saw the lights in the field. I said, looks like a cell phone light ! Did you score him ? Take care.

• Like 1

Congrats again ! Awesome Bull ! I thought that was you in there on that hill . It was probably us you heard to the south of you. Thought it was your truck and saw the lights in the field. I said, looks like a cell phone light ! Did you score him ? Take care.

I'm a little slow today. The truck and light was actually to the south of us. I'm getting old.

That was me. Cell phone for my cousin to track my movements and walked me within 2' of where I found the tracks that led me to my bull.

I don't blame you a bit for driving the other way after the shot. The pack out sucked....I shouldn't have taken the backstraps/tenderloins/neck roasts on the same trip with the head.

20170930_181929_zpsrmygbwty.jpg

Congrats Lance! Judging by the above picture you are now my #1 phone call if I kill bull in ugly spot, or anywhere farther than 100 yards from road. ;)

Beautiful bull!!!

22 roasts between 3-5#

20 back strap steaks

65# burger 70/30 w. Beef ribeye roast

25# red chorizo 70/30 w. Pork

12# green chorizo 70/30 w. Pork

9# green chili breakfast sausage 60/30/10 w. Pork & jalapeño bacon

9# breakfast sausage 60/30/10 w. Pork @ applewood bacon

9# breakfast hot sausage 60/30/10 w. Pork & black pepper bacon w. Red chili's

16# Italian sausage 70/30 w. Pork

40 brats

20 jalapeño/cheddar sausages

20171008_175213_zpsb8zi0qhd.jpg

20171008_175325_zpsck5mumrw.jpg

• Like 5

I hope you have a backup freezer if that one fails!

• Like 1

Awesome bull! Good write-up and pics. Lance, your posts are always among my favorites.

If I get some time tomorrow, I will do a complete writeup of my hunt. Even though it was over opening evening, that was a long time coming.