Sign in to follow this  
CatfishKev

Optimal shooting distances for specific magnification scopes

Looking for what would be considered optimal distances for 3-9, 4-12 etc. power scopes for a kid. Target would be deer.

Not looking for what YOU are capable of, just a recomended baseline for kids generally speaking. It happens to be for my daughter who is still a little flinchy. She has a 243 currently which I have a can on order for but it wont be here in time.

Thanks

I think lower power scopes are better for kids. Target acquisition for follow up shots (which we know kids need often) are tricky on higher power scopes. I would say 15x max. I only hunt with a 14x and have not found that it limits me on shooting distance. High power scopes are nice for punching paper, but IMHO they are not 100% necessary for hunting.

• Like 3

Use a target that looks like a deer and see how far she can hit the mark consistently.

Thanks guys. It has a junk 3-9 power. I was thinking going to a 4-12, or up to 14.

Its got a thunder beast break that the can connects to. Not sure the measurement. You got a can you want to unload?

For kids, I would think being able to consistently hit the target would be more of a determining factor than scope power. If they are limited to 300-500 yards, even a 3-9 would be plenty for deer. A 3-12 or 3-15, 4-16 would be more than enough out to 1000 on deer, so it gives them room to gain accuracy and distance in the future. But then cartridge and bullet come into play for what a realistic shot distance will dictate.

To be honest, I do not ever plan on shooting at game over 1000, and would actually much prefer 800 max for myself. Even though I am confident I could make a hit at almost twice that distance.

• Like 2

Just got back from a cow elk hunt with my son. I have had him out shooting and he does a great job even out to 800+ yards on steel. On day one he had a yearling antlerless at 100 yards in a 5-25 burris and was unable to find her in the scope and she walked off. Day 4 we had a bedded cow at 533 yards and he couldnt find her in the scope and said that there was sun blocking out the optic and couldnt make her out after 1 1/2 hours of looking. Day 5 he found and killed a elk at 100-120 yards while the sun was coming up. I have no idea why he couldnt see the first ones I looked through the scope and had no problems may have been buck fever. I figured out later that he thought he had to magnify the scope to make a good shot on her and the one he finished his hunt with he never checked the magnification just pulled the trigger at 5 pwr and then said I didnt even adjust the magnification. Pick a scope and take them out, it is probably better to have clear optical picture than magnification.

I would look not so much at max power but at zoom capability. Older and cheaper scopes have a 3x zoom range (3-9,4-12, 6-18 etc) I wont buy a scope without a minimum 6x these days. There are just to many good scopes out there to compromise on this. A 3-18 would be ideal for a kid. All the benefit of a 3x on low end with top end to make 3-400 yard shots more consistent at the range if nothing else but to make them confident at 250 yd in the field.

• Like 2

When my son and daughter first started shooting I used a straight 4X as they got a little older I went to a VX1 in 2x7. Shots were from about 30 yards (Kaibab Doe and Cow Elk) and later 200 and 305 yards again Kaibab Doe and Cow Elk.

Higher magnification in a scope can be a double-edged sword. Higher magnification can help increase accurate shot placement at longer ranges. If you have difficulty holding the rifle perfectly still it can also degrade your shooting. As you keep making little Corrections the higher magnification will amplify the movement. For younger shooter I think I would make sure you had a 3 or 4 bottom end.

• Like 2

All that horsepower is unnecessary weight and complications. Put that scope on 3x and go hunting. You are taking her out practicing right.

I agree with 300RUM I have my boys crank theirs down so they can find the target easier and if a followup shot is needed its quicker to recover.

I have a 2x7 vari x ii on my 7 mag. it is by far and away my favorite one to hunt with. have killed out to 450+ yards