Sign in to follow this  
yotebuster

Looking for recommendations on a builder

I have a interesting project that I want to undertake. I have a Winchester model 70 (post 64 1996 mfg) with a pre 64 style action that my dad got for me for my 12th birthday. Its in 7mm STW and I will likely keep it that way. Its killed a literal semi load of animals over the years and has always shot in the 1-1.5 range. Its starting to open up and also has a hard time holding zero from year to year (walnut stock). The gun is totally stock as it sits. I have a lapua that Ive been shooting the last few years and have really gotten into the long range thing with it and love it, my only problem is I would like to continue to use the rifle my dad got me as my primary big game gun for my hunting career. Im considering having it rebarreled with a gloss blue barrel to keep it looking similar to the way it was originally made. I want to get the action trued and maybe add different bottom metal to allow it to hold longer bullets. I also have this pipe dream of leaving the current walnut stock on it but maybe having someone mill an aluminum insert for it so that the stock remains like a veneer on it just to maintain the original looks. Any thoughts on if this is possible and also if anyone has a recommended builder to take it on? I sent an email to axis works a month or two ago and never heard back but maybe I got into their spam account or something or maybe they arent interested in the build. I realize this will likely cost significantly more then it could be done with a new stock etc but money isnt really a consideration as this will be my go to long range rifle for the rest of my life.

Anything is possible, it just takes $$$ ;) .

I recommend Western Precision to anyone who will listen to me. I've never had a rig shoot as well as the 300 Norma they built for me. Great guys as well.

I looked into a post 64 build a long time ago because I could get a lefty as a donor. I found few people that would build one. There was one company that would, I haven't looked into them for a while but it was called Echols. Beyond that, there has to be someone that could do what you are wanting. Look into the Prescott area, there seems to be old talent there, at least more than the modern gunsmiths I know about in the Phoenix area. Good luck, I like the way you're thinking.

• Like 1

Anything is possible, it just takes $$$ ;) .

I recommend Western Precision to anyone who will listen to me. I've never had a rig shoot as well as the 300 Norma they built for me. Great guys as well.

Where is western precision out of?

I called western precision several times and left messages because I've heard nothing but great things about them. they didn't answer or return one of my calls so I had decided to go a different route only reason being if someone had one of my rifles and didn't answer or return my calls id be sick to my stomach, axis works will be finishing mine up after the holidays

• Like 1

If you call Eric at Axisworks he will usually answer his phone are return your call. Not sure how often he checks his emails as he is very busy. As you will see by doing a search on this site his work is outstanding.

• Like 1

Western Precison is in Safford AZ. Brent Jacob is the owner. Great guy. I know for a fact he can do what you are looking for because my dad had a nearly identical rifle built by him. He bought a pre 64 300h&h that somebody turned into a 300h&h improved. He had Brent spin a new barrel on it and turned it into a 375h&h. Kept the same barrel contour and reused the original wood stock. Cerakoted it to resemble the original factory finish. Really sharp rifle and a heck of a shooter

I saw the title, and I thought stay in Your house in N. D. You puss. What did the cold get You this week.LOL Good luck with your deal, Buddy. And never compare the beauty of Alpine AZ. with anything in ND.. I allways said when I live there, the Women with th hardest job in the State was the Director of tourism. I mean wher would You even start, a Gravel pit or an oil waste site..BRO if Your making the big bucks stay. ....BOB!

I saw the title, and I thought stay in Your house in N. D. You puss. What did the cold get You this week.LOL Good luck with your deal, Buddy. And never compare the beauty of Alpine AZ. with anything in ND.. I allways said when I live there, the Women with th hardest job in the State was the Director of tourism. I mean wher would You even start, a Gravel pit or an oil waste site..BRO if Your making the big bucks stay. ....BOB!

I'd start with jumbo perch and walleyes on Devils lake, then I'd go shoot a nice big whitetail and a big mule deer in western ND. Probably eat a few good steaks too.

• Like 3

I'd start with jumbo perch and walleyes on Devils lake, then I'd go shoot a nice big whitetail and a big mule deer in western ND. Probably eat a few good steaks too.

Sounds pretty awesome, wanna carpool? Just not anytime between thanksgiving and easter

• Like 1

You can't get tags in the western Badlands unless You have several Points. What is it Yote like 10 for gaurentee.....BOB!