idgaf

Which trophy is a greater accomplishment?

Whats the greater accomplishment  

98 members have voted

1. 1. which is a greater accomplishment

• 850 yard shot at 110" coues with a 6.5 creedmore from a tripod
    • 12 yard shot at a forked horn coues with a longbow

Does the long shot require wearing a flat brimmed hat as well?

Long distance shooting requires money and gadgets

A good recurve shooter has skill and no flat brimmed hat..

• Like 2

Well I'll throw my .02 in. I consider myself an bowhunter that uses a rifle on occasion. Bowhunters get to hunt the best times, (rightfully so I might add, with the lower success rates) during the velvet and middle of the rut etc.....

12 yards can be done regularly during those time, In my experience significantly more regular than during rifle season. (ie, water, stands,salt, rattling,grunting etc...) So I guess no I don't consider a 12 yards bow shot more of an accomplishment than an 850 yard rifle shot. Forky vs 110.

Last year alone I passed up 2 different bucks at under 20 yards, not a recurve though.

Apples to Apples, both during the same seasons than maybe the greater accomplishment would be the 12 yard shot on a forky. IMO

• Like 2

Is shooting a live animal,regardless of size, at 850 yards considered hunting? I don't know, just asking... fire away... Most guys here are thinking end result. Just being 12 yards from any live wild animal is an experience in itself... Ed F

• Like 2

Is shooting a live animal,regardless of size, at 850 yards considered hunting? I don't know, just asking... fire away... Most guys here are thinking end result. Just being 12 yards from any live wild animal is an experience in itself... Ed F

I would say yes. Not many people get the chance at a 110 coues

Is legally sitting over bait or water actually hunting?

BTW Ive killed 4 big game animals under 10 yards ( not in a blind or stand) and have touched 3 live animals 2 elk and 1 deer and so I know about being close. Personally I believe it is more fulfilling to be close but that is why I have a wall full of 90" and only a couple around and over 110

• Like 2

I just want a participation ribbon that says I went out and had a good time in the woods, I can't get close and I can't shoot far so somewhere in the middle I have no wall hanger trophies but hundreds of wall hanger memories built off of experiences trying to get close and trying to shoot far! The only thing that made any of those experiences trophies was the fact that most of them were with either my dad, brother, wife or one of my sons plus upon occasion some really great friends.

Can't measure with a tape or a mile meter but trophies just the same!!!

850 yards or 12 either is irrelevant in my trophy case!!!

Fun thread to read though!!!!

• Like 6

As what has been eluded to above, It is hard to compare the 2 styles of hunting. Bowhunting gives you much longer seasons and generally the animals are considerably easier to locate during the time of year you are hunting them. When you get out on some of those rifle hunts with 1000 + tags, it can be hard to even locate a decent buck. I think after you have a few animals under your belt with a bow, you start realize that it really isn't as hard as most guys make it out to be. Now, finding a legit 110" buck, that is a challenge. Lots of hunters have never seen a 110" coues alive in front of them.

• Like 1

At first when i quickly read the question i was like this is easy..........the 110" coues. But then I reread it and thought about the greater accomplishment and changed my answer. Now if you changed the question to "trophy" then my answer would change because for me they are two different things. Not sure if the original poster considers them different or not? To each their own...

On my sheep hunt I got within 15 yards of a nice ram. Taking that ram during my hunt would have been a greater accomplishment to me then taking my ram with my rifle. But, my ram is a nicer trophy.........in my opinion. Thats just how I look at it. For some (even myself sometimes) the two are the same. I guess its just how you read into the question. Not sure if I make any sense haha.

Is shooting a live animal,regardless of size, at 850 yards considered hunting? I don't know, just asking... Ed F

Would you support a bunch of granolas banning 850 yd animal hunting? How do you feel about big cats?

Some of you guys get all bunched up looking down your nose at other disciplines. Guess what... The crunchies hate us all and will take whatever angle we give them. They'd be happy to chip away at us a bit at a time.

Regarding the poll, go sit active water or a worn trail in the pines for a few days in August with a good wind and your chances at a 12 yd fork might look pretty favorable compared to finding a 110" and hitting him at 850.

Plenty bashing the technology of a long shot but forget to discuss the merits of pouring "stuff" from a bag or placing the ambiguous block onto the soil before hanging a 10+ megapixel digital camera equipped with modern day Passive Infrared sensors to trigger a photograph with a time/date/temp/moon phase stamp enabling them to primitively pattern their quarry before repeating this at 5 or 6 more undisclosed locations after using satellite imagery and high resolution topographic maps on their cellular phones to primitively search the land for the best spots allowing them to leverage their primitive 85% let off, CNC machined riser, wind/elev adjustable sight, sound and vibration stabilized bow shooting +/- 0.001" straight, weight sorted woven carbon projectiles tipped with surgical stainless steel blades on a trophy fork.

Regardless of implement forks aren't my thing, but if it blows your skirt up I hope you have your fill and share the outdoors with your kids!

I respect the passion for your own game but we need to be passionate about others' right to hunt as we please. I will use as many weapon platforms, specific seasons, and target species as I can to keep my rear in the field as many days as possible throughout the year and use whatever technology I can afford to maximize opportunity at intended targets... Except Mtn Ops, I wont use Mtn Ops. Seriously though the holier than thou BS is nothing but divisive.

• Like 2

Both require a lot of practice to be efficient.

Thats just not true. I have seen several guys jump behind someone elses LR setup and start blasting away at animals 600+ yards. Often times they are able to walk their shots in and be successful, having never practiced a shot over 200 yds before in their life.

What makes a 110 buck a trophy at any distance is the fact that he grew 110 of bone on his head.

• Like 1