Sign in to follow this  
Chris

No cams on water by G&F.....coming soon.

Rules are posted below. I think these rules are clear stating that no trail camera should be used within 1/4 mile (440 yards) from a developed water source. I also think this rule clearly states live action cameras (Cams that send pics to cell phone instantly) are not to be used anywhere in the woods at all. IMO it defines a live action camera not being allowed in the woods at all to take, or aid in take of wildlife. The part that needs to be defined better is the taking, or aiding in the take of wildlife. This leaves the idea that if I'm just out in the woods to view wildlife with my camera, and I'm not helping take, or aid in the take of wildlife (meaning I don't have a tag, or not guiding anyone) then I should be able to use a camera anywhere in the woods. Currently these rules are somewhat confusing, and could use some additional info to help clear the use of trail cameras. However if these rules are posted in the regs as currently proposed, I won't be risking my cameras on water being I don't think they'll be there when I come back.

On Page 31:

Live action camera means an unmanned device capable of transmitting images, still photographs, video, or satellite imagery, wirelessly to a remote device such as but not limited to a computer, smart phone, or tablet. This does not include a trail camera that only records photographic or video data and stores the data for later use, provided the device is not capable of transmitting data wirelessly.

On Page 34:

4. A person shall not use a live-action trail camera, or images from a live action-action trail camera, for the purpose of:

a. Taking or aiding in the take of wildlife, or

b. Locating wildlife for the purpose of taking or aiding in the take of wildlife.

5. A person shall not use any trail cam, or images from a trail camera, for the purpose of taking or aiding in the take of wildlife within one-fourth mile (440 yards) of the outer perimeter of a developed water source.

On Page 30:

"Developed Water source" means any developed, placed, or man-made structure that collects or stores water with the primary purpose of providing water to wildlife or livestock.

I enjoy cams and use them other places besides water so they won't get stolen. This new regulation only affects the less average hunters anyways.

So if you are a less than average hunter and you use a cam it makes you average?
my point was any Yahoo can slap a cam on water and call it good. But doing your homework and putting a cam in a strategic place besides salt of water is a better strategy to keep on the game and not have to post sob stories about theft and multiple cameras on water holes. People can't even dispose of toilet paper in the woods properly. Do you think they are going to give a crap about your gear strapped to a tree?

I enjoy cams and use them other places besides water so they won't get stolen. This new regulation only affects the less average hunters anyways.

So if you are a less than average hunter and you use a cam it makes you average?
my point was any Yahoo can slap a cam on water and call it good. But doing your homework and putting a cam in a strategic place besides salt of water is a better strategy to keep on the game and not have to post sob stories about theft and multiple cameras on water holes. People can't even dispose of toilet paper in the woods properly. Do you think they are going to give a crap about your gear strapped to a tree?

You have derailed

It's all good. I found a safety pin.

• Like 1

And if you use 11 or more it makes above average! :D

This rule will not allow the game and fish to confiscate cameras. They still have the burden of proof to prove that who ever owns the camera is using it to aid them in taking wildlife. I would guess that if you do not kill within the scope of the camera(440) yards of the water hole they will not have a case that you utilized the camera to take said wildlife.

I think the question is will anyone be able to prove that AZGFD took their camera, which was not being used for the take of wildlife. We all know its exceedingly difficult to know who takes a trailcam. Then whoever it is they take it from, once they prove that AZGFD took it unlawfully will have to have the stomach and money for a fight in the court system. That might be the tougher part.

AZGFD Commission meeting April 6-7.

Agenda

Call to the Public, {you can speak at any G&F office}.

Also Fall Hunts, Rules for Small and Big Game, Poachers, & some guy wanting a elk tag issued because his credit card was no good.

You can also speak your peace on any of the agenda items.

PS you have to give your real name not your internet name.

Handicap Accessible.

This is just a FYI post to avoid what appears to be some confusion as to what "take" and "taking" means.

This direct from the state's official TITLE 17 laws:

17-101. Definitions

A. In this title, unless the context otherwise requires:

20. "Take" means pursuing, shooting, hunting, fishing, trapping, killing, capturing, snaring or netting wildlife or the placing or using of any net or other device or trap in a manner that may result in the capturing or killing of wildlife.

24. "Wildlife" means all wild mammals, wild birds and the nests or eggs thereof, reptiles, amphibians, mollusks, crustaceans and fish, including their eggs or spawn.

17-240. Disposition of wildlife; devices; unlawful devices; notice of intention to destroy; waiting period; destruction; jurisdiction of recovery actions; disposition of unclaimed property

B. Devices, excepting firearms, which cannot be used lawfully for the taking of wildlife and being so used at the time seized may be destroyed. Notice of intention to destroy such devices as prescribed in this section must be sent by registered mail to the last known address of the person from whom seized if known and posted in three conspicuous places within the county wherein seized, two of said notices being posted in the customary place for posting public notices about the county courthouse of said county. Such device shall be held by the department for thirty days after such posting and mailing, and if no action is commenced to recover possession of such device within such time, the same shall be summarily destroyed by the department, or if such device shall be held by the court in any such action to have been used for the taking of wildlife, then such device shall be summarily destroyed by the department immediately after the decision of the court has become final. The justice court shall have jurisdiction of any such actions or proceedings commenced to recover the possession of such devices.

C. Devices other than those referred to in subsection B, including firearms seized under this title shall, after final disposition of the case, be returned to the person from whom the device was seized. If the person from whom the device was seized cannot be located or ascertained, the device seized shall be retained by the department at least ninety days after final disposition of the case, and all devices so held by the department may be:

1. Sold annually.

2. Destroyed only if considered a prohibited or defaced weapon, as defined in section 13-3101, except that any seized firearm registered in the national firearms registry and transfer records of the United States treasury department or has been classified as a curio or relic by the United States treasury department shall not be destroyed.

D. If no complaint is filed pursuant to this title, the device shall be returned to the person from whom seized within thirty days from the date seized.

E. A complete report of all wildlife and devices seized by the department showing a description of the items, the person from whom it was seized, if known, and a record of the disposition shall be kept by the department. The money derived from the sale of any devices shall be deposited in the game and fish fund.

This direct from the AGFD's 2017-2018 Regulations booklet:

From pg. 109

20. Take means pursuing, shooting, hunting, fishing, trapping, killing, capturing, snaring or netting wildlife or the placing or using of any net or other device or trap in a manner that may result in the capturing or killing of wildlife.

From pg. 105

Take/Hunt From A Vehicle (A.R.S. 17-301 B, R12-4-319) Pages 108 and 130 No person may take wildlife from a motor vehicle, watercraft or aircraft, except as permitted by Commission Order, and under the provisions of the Challenged Hunter Access Mobility Permit Commission Rule (R12-4217). Take, as defined by law, includes pursuing, shooting, hunting and killing wildlife. You are unlawfully using a vehicle to take wildlife if you intentionally drive around until you see the animal you wish to harvest and then make an attempt to take. Road hunting is illegal; so is pursuing wildlife with a vehicle, chasing or heading off moving wildlife with a vehicle, and driving off-road to get closer to wildlife. You do not have to shoot from the vehicle to be in violation.

G&F won't have to seize your cams. By making this ambiguous rule, the unwashed masses of outdoors wannabes will feel emboldened to remove them more so than ever as if there were now some legal mandate.

• Like 3

G&F won't have to seize your cams. By making this ambiguous rule, the unwashed masses of outdoors wannabes will feel emboldened to remove them more so than ever as if there were now some legal mandate.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3D9efgLHgsBmM&ved=0ahUKEwjn45TkrpDaAhUC5mMKHXb3Aa8QwqsBCDQwAg&usg=AOvVaw2W6mOmijTXNtAN4tq0ZZgQ
  • Like 2

Yep.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3D9efgLHgsBmM&ved=0ahUKEwjn45TkrpDaAhUC5mMKHXb3Aa8QwqsBCDQwAg&usg=AOvVaw2W6mOmijTXNtAN4tq0ZZgQ

SHAZAM!!!

Yep...If there's a rule of no trail cams, the other hunters will take care of any left out, and g&f won't have to do squat.

• Like 1

Sweet. So one of my top 3 favorite things to do is banned. I like how there's no way to establish intent of the cam so if you're just using it for fun and not hunting they'll just steal your cam off water?

I have never seen a game warden where I put cams and rarely another hunter or hiker. I love seeing what critters are coming in to a site. I'll continue putting them out, not using them for hunting.

I'll also be putting out more salt with my cams over them.

Guess it's win-win for animals; fewer pics, more electrolytes.