Sign in to follow this  
mbiewer

Mid Life/wife crisis Question

What kind of maintenance are you doing that is costing you guys so much money?

I would say its more the upfront costs and the fixes that kill you then the maintenance. Yes oil changes are more expensive but thats not huge. I buy a new F150 eco boost max tow every two years. I put 99500 miles on them and then trade. The last one I got was $35200 off the lot. A comparable diesel woulda been just shy of $50,000. Thats almost $15,000 difference. If I trade every two years thats $7500 a year. I got ostracized on here for saying I spend $2000 a year on out of state tag applications as being a rich guy, I would say that anyone who owns a diesel spends far far more then that just to listen to it hum. Dont get me wrong there are people out there who truly need them, but I would say 99% if diesel owners dont. I pull probably 10,000 miles a year with mine. I farm part time so its anythkng from combine headers to seed wagons (15,000#) to my camper, but in my opinion I still dont pull enough to justify an extra $7500/yr in cost. If you break something on a diesel its gonna be $5-10k for literally anything in them. I see these guys talking about this motor or that and the say 6.4L is great you just have to do this delete and that bulletproofing. If Im gonna spend $50k for a pickup I better not have to take it to some aftermarket dude with a flat brim hat to spend another $10k to make it work. Thats my 2 cents on diesel!!! As my uncle (a lifetime mechanic) used to say. The three Ts of diesel: Trucks Tractors and Trains! (Dont get me started on pickup vs truck, we are referring to pickups here. Trucks have more then two axles.

• Like 1

I dang sure wouldn't want to pull my trailer with a gas engine, 3/4 ton or not! My 5.9 Cummins tows it well but knows it back there!

20171016_113723_zpsbyvloeqp.jpg

There's a saying with trucks and trailers to buy enough truck for your next trailer...and once you start buying trailers you'll probably buy more and bigger. My wife was a little skeptical until the first time we went camping and she didn't have to go outside to use the bathroom...she was sold after that and now she's a huge fan of the trailer.

We started with a smaller 25' travel trailer (bought on here for a great deal BTW) towing with F-150 which didn't tow it great. It "could" tow it and handle it fine by the numbers, but it wasn't enjoyable at all. Upgraded to a 2500 diesel thinking ahead to our "next" trailer and it was night and day difference. Now I'm towing a relatively small 30' fifth wheel (the "next" trailer) and it does fine.

Gas vs diesel is a tough call...if you're not towing heavy and often you'll be fine with gas. My buddy's gas 2500 tows great and he tows a lot of heavy trailers for work.

The happy wife saying goes a long way too. We really enjoy our trailer and get a lot of use out of it. Over 2 weeks this summer we'll be heading to Glacier and Yellowstone and I can't wait! Heck you could easily hold onto the classic popup for more remote hunting trips or whatever.

Good luck and enjoy the decision. Be glad she wants to go camping at all. :D

If you decide on a Ford stay away from the 6.0 and 6.4's. You can do a DEF delete kit for the 6.7 and I can put you in touch with Chris Rollins in Mesa who has a shop and can talk to him about trucks and he can do an inspection on one for you before you decide to buy it.

He specializes in Fords but works on Chevys and Dodges in his shop too. There is a guy who runs a transporter buisenss and Chris does his maintence. The guy has over 700K on his 6.7

Chris is pretty well known and he just had a guy ship his truck from Hawaii for him to do a bunch of work on it. Business is called Rowdy Racks. Shares the building with Caswells.

How does someone pass the emissions test with that modification?

I would say its more the upfront costs and the fixes that kill you then the maintenance. Yes oil changes are more expensive but thats not huge. I buy a new F150 eco boost max tow every two years. I put 99500 miles on them and then trade. The last one I got was $35200 off the lot. A comparable diesel woulda been just shy of $50,000. Thats almost $15,000 difference. If I trade every two years thats $7500 a year. I got ostracized on here for saying I spend $2000 a year on out of state tag applications as being a rich guy, I would say that anyone who owns a diesel spends far far more then that just to listen to it hum. Dont get me wrong there are people out there who truly need them, but I would say 99% if diesel owners dont. I pull probably 10,000 miles a year with mine. I farm part time so its anythkng from combine headers to seed wagons (15,000#) to my camper, but in my opinion I still dont pull enough to justify an extra $7500/yr in cost. If you break something on a diesel its gonna be $5-10k for literally anything in them. I see these guys talking about this motor or that and the say 6.4L is great you just have to do this delete and that bulletproofing. If Im gonna spend $50k for a pickup I better not have to take it to some aftermarket dude with a flat brim hat to spend another $10k to make it work. Thats my 2 cents on diesel!!! As my uncle (a lifetime mechanic) used to say. The three Ts of diesel: Trucks Tractors and Trains! (Dont get me started on pickup vs truck, we are referring to pickups here. Trucks have more then two axles.

you need 5 gasser oil changes by the time you need 1 diesel oil change. diesels especially 4x4 hold their value better than any gas truck. f150 has the worst resale value.

You lose 15000 up front then get it back when you trade it in. Used diesels in Arizona demand a fortune. My dodge is worth more now then when I bought it.

• Like 1

Not arguing as I could care less either way. Used diesel markets are different in every state. Lots of guys like to also compare towing heavy sh!t on flat highways with gas trucks. You start towing heavy from Phoenix to Payson/flagstaff you are going to struggle with a gas truck and depending on weight even diesels get there asss kicked.

OP’s $30k budget really doesn’t buy you much of a truck these days which is sad.

• Like 2

Driving texas highways is one thing with a 1/2 ton. Driving up and down the Beline/ I-17/ and the 60 headed up to the 260 sure feels nice once your pulling that heavy trailer with a 3/4 ton truck. You never really truly feel the weigh until you are on a 6-7% grade on a turn.

you need 5 gasser oil changes by the time you need 1 diesel oil change. diesels especially 4x4 hold their value better than any gas truck. f150 has the worst resale value.

I change the oil every 5K on my diesel, 15qts. That is the factory recommendation, sure you can go longer but to do so you should add a bypass filter and do a UOA to see whats happening to the viscoscity, copper buildup etc.

If you decide on a Ford stay away from the 6.0 and 6.4's. You can do a DEF delete kit for the 6.7 and I can put you in touch with Chris Rollins in Mesa who has a shop and can talk to him about trucks and he can do an inspection on one for you before you decide to buy it.

He specializes in Fords but works on Chevys and Dodges in his shop too. There is a guy who runs a transporter buisenss and Chris does his maintence. The guy has over 700K on his 6.7

Chris is pretty well known and he just had a guy ship his truck from Hawaii for him to do a bunch of work on it. Business is called Rowdy Racks. Shares the building with Caswells.

How does someone pass the emissions test with that modification?

No idea. I just hear about people doing that and straight piping the cat. My truck is pretty much stock and it was one of the only years that did not have a cat.

• Like 1

Ive been thinking about selling my 2015 dodge diesel with 50k on it.

Let me know if your interested? Most likely cheaper than any other out there.

• Like 1

Ive been thinking about selling my 2015 dodge diesel with 50k on it.

Let me know if your interested? Most likely cheaper than any other out there.

Lets hear about it

I change the oil every 5K on my diesel, 15qts. That is the factory recommendation, sure you can go longer but to do so you should add a bypass filter and do a UOA to see whats happening to the viscoscity, copper buildup etc.

a 2014 cummins factory recommendation is 15k miles.

• Like 1