G_E_E

Picked up a surrendered tag👍

I was lucky enough to be the next person in line for a surrendered 7E September 14-27 archery bull tag. I have not hunted this unit before but cannot wait to get out and scout in two weeks. This will be my first elk hunt. I will only have my pickup for the scout trip, so wondering what the roads are like? Or if any one can give me tips on hunting this unit when it comes to the varing topography. Any info is much appreciated, thank you.

• Like 5

Plenty of roads in 7E. 4x4 Truck should be fine. Good luck. I hate 7E....even though I took a decent bull out of there last year!

Seriously, the unit can be tough.

• Like 1

Thanks Lance, yea I been reading about it been tough, with the decline in elk in the unit, gonna give it my all for two weeks if necessary.

• Like 2

The roads are generally pretty good. If I were you on that hunt I would be hiking up toward or into the wilderness area. Most of the bulls will still probably be up that way early in the season like that.

1 word of advice. Stay off road 419. That road was absolute crap a couple years ago. It shows to be a good road on the maps, but if you take it you better be a good driver, have some good clearance, and be ready to drive. If you had a side by side that road may not be as bad, but don't do it in a standard pickup.

Lance is correct though, this is a tough hunt. Be ready to hike hard and find some water to be near.

I have hunted this a few times. Its not 23 or 9 or 1 but we have had a lot of fun chasing some bugling bulls.

They can be tough to get on. I actually prefer to stay out where you can glass. Especially the transitions areas. Good luck and keep us posted.

Congratulations! I think that might be better than drawing in the regular draw. The odds have to be crazy that you would be next in line. I hope you make the most of it and have a great time. Look forward to seeing some pics.

• Like 1

Shoot me a pm... ill be up there the 1st week helping a buddie. If he tags out early im down to come glass and help pack out.

I have hunted this a few times. Its not 23 or 9 or 1 but we have had a lot of fun chasing some bugling bulls.

They can be tough to get on. I actually prefer to stay out where you can glass. Especially the transitions areas. Good luck and keep us posted.

How did you do on your hunts out there?

How did you do on your hunts out there?

Well now that you ask, we have never killed an elk there. But I wouldnt take that as an indication of hunt quality. All of these were newbie hunts and all of them included shot opportunities. I probably wouldnt be picky, even though I have seen some nice bulls there.

Maybe a dumb question...when you pick up a surrendered tag like that do you lose your points or do they treat it like a leftover?