Sign in to follow this  
Coach

2A - trophy unit?

Hey guys, I have a 2A tag this year. It's pretty close to home but I really haven't been out there much. Incidentally, I also have a unit 1 archery bull tag that overlaps with this hunt. I've got a limited amount of time off and plan to spend most of it on the elk hunt.

I waited 19 years for my first AZ antelope hunt in unit 9 a couple years back and wasn't overly impressed, so I'm wondering what to expect in 2A. My initial thoughts are pretty much any good looking goat is what I'm after. However, I have heard of some nice ones coming off that unit in the past.

I just wanted to see if the people here with more antelope experience think this is a trophy unit, or just so-so. I'm trying to plan my time off in a way to make the best of both hunts so any input is appreciated.

I would not characterize this unit as a top notch unit for AZ. From the little bit of research I have done, I would not put It up there with other units that consistently produce giant goats.

But hey, I could be wrong. I was once before.

If you have an elk hunt as well, I would donate that antelope tag and try again next year. The elk tag IMO is way more important than that particular goat tag. Or start buying meth from someone in 2A and get private land access.

If you have an elk hunt as well, I would donate that antelope tag and try again next year. The elk tag IMO is way more important than that particular goat tag. Or start buying meth from someone in 2A and get private land access.

he said he just got drawn a couple years ago it could take him 30 years to get drawn again

• Like 1

Ive been on a couple 2a goat hunts. There are some good ones in there. Not a ton of them, but good genetics. Every few years someone kills a stomper (87+).

he said he just got drawn a couple years ago it could take him 30 years to get drawn again
true but Id still rather hunt az elk in unit 1 than antelope in 2A

It's been a while since if seen anything real big out there. I don't mean to bring you down but it could be tough finding a book buck. I had a permit there in 98 and had access to the whole unit. Some of those places are now off limits. There were three permits in our group back then and we had no trouble finding bucks, it seemed like Antelope were everywhere. I remember there were 30 tags that year. We saw one real big buck but he escaped. My opinion is go all in on the Antelope tag, you won't get another one of those, you may score big. Good luck!

true but Id still rather hunt az elk in unit 1 than antelope in 2A

So would I but I'd rather have both. Could kill a 2a goat in the morning and a 1 bull in the evening

• Like 2

Thanks guys for all the replies. The end of the goat hunt overlaps the beginning of the elk hunt so it's not a "one or the other" situation. More just trying to determine how much of my allotted time off to allocate to each hunt. I'll probably do opening day & the first monday of the antelope hunt and then the rest on the elk hunt. For sure opening day and the whole last week when the rut is usually in full swing.

Donate the goat tag??? Ya right.

Scout a little more intensively for the goat hunt and shoot your buck opening weekend. Then use your vacation chasing elk. That will solve your first world problem and increase your taxidermy bill.

• Like 2