Mocha1545

Looks Like a Cold one!

Looks like it is gonna be cold and stormy for the late hunt. Good luck all and stay warm and dry!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, rossiranch said:

So much for my backpacking idea...lol 

Dont let a tiny bit of weather stop you. I have the 4 man tipi and its awesome, no need to freeze, you can dry out your clothes at night, cook on the stove and its really nice having a place to warm up after being out all day. 

https://seekoutside.com/cimarron/

Was up in 7W last week looking for some bulls for a couple hunters, and it was 18 at first light, but warmed up to long sleeve t-shirt weather by 10AM.  Super dry, about 3/4 of the tanks were bone dry.  Saw some great bulls.  Total of 12 in half a day.  

Rain forecasted for opening day, snow after that.  Good luck to the late hunters.  The cold will be a great change.  

Remember that elk hunt in 2009 when it dumped like 2-3 feet? A lot of hunters had to abandon their camp, leaving everything buried. 

At least this storm won’t be as intense. It will be CAF tho! Bundle up!

According to NOAA, there is up to 11 inches forecast as possible in the Flagstaff area from now through Sunday.  Typically we won't see near as much as prediction models indicate.  To me, the snow isn't so bad (aside from limited visibility during storms), but the wind would be very disheartening.

I think I'll use my smoker on the porch this weekend on some elk backstrap! 

Best of luck to those braving the elements!

Elk should be all herded up.  This has all the makings of an elk slaughter.  New fresh snow opening morning will make it very easy to find them.

My son and I both filled our tags. Had a chance  at a monster and a really good bull but my boy couldn’t connect on em. He ended up with a small 6 pt and I killed a meat bull with 2 hours left in the hunt. Cold but fun hunt. Saw bulls all but 1 day I think.

I modified my kodiak tent for a wood stove and it was the best investment I’ve made since the tent itself or the ranger. Buddy heater wouldn’t have cut it.

• Like 2