naturebob

turkey downI

I had a unit 1 tag yesterday. in the morn had a bird roosted thought it would be a sure thing. Got there 1 hour early set up a decoy that I normally don't do, Bird is hollering away on the roost. Comes down and goes other way. . I followed and chased and headed off. We played till 9;30 ,Got a few of his hens to come in but he would stay 100 yards out consistantly.  We went up and down hills over  a creek   zig zag . was an educated bird ,One of the toughest I ever had. Finally he quit talking and game over. He kicked my butt. I was sore mid day.Afternoon got windy I just slept against a tree hoping one would come thru . Nothin. Half our before dark I decided to move and try to roost a bird for next day. Tried about 5 spots ,nothing. Then at the last place I went where I heard one the night before , One blasts off hundred yards out.  I thaught thats my play for tommorow as it is getting dark. I got off the road and much to my surprize He's closing distance. I grab the gun ,get set up and sure as heck He keeps coming. At 35 yards boom ,1 shot with # 4 pheasant shot he was down . Still legal shooting lite ,but getting dark I didn't think he would come . It was 7: 10 or 7 :15 PM.  So easy and it made up for all the hard work in the morning I did. Talked to 7 guys from 2 other camps and nobody killed. I feel this was a lucky one, but it came from being persistant and not giving up and working till last minute of day. Never give up hang in there. I have allways hunted birds all day. Killed a couple Mid day and as many at nite as in the Morn. But the Morn is the funnest I think. The rest of the day is working it. Pics to come in an hour ,gotta go get more ice rite now. Finally ahunting story from me instead of Bullcrap. LOL..........BOB!

IMG_1446.JPG

IMG_1445.JPG

IMG_1447.JPG

• Like 7
  • Great Buck! 1
  • Wow! 1

I only have these 3 and don't know how to rotate Sorry!  Funny on his spurs one was real and sharp and one 3/4 of an inch and worn down............BOB!

Woody I was thinking about You this AM. when I drove thru Star Valley. Then I saw Pete Place ,but it was only 7:30AM..............BOB!

Very cool, ya the mad cow (Pete's) is now close. There looking for someone to open a restaurant in a old titty bar. Crabs anyone

Congrats again

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I had one talking to me from a quarter mile away friday at first light. I got up Gobbler peak in the dark. He was closing fast and a few hundred yards down the hill when BOOM. someone had walked over the dam and shot the bird I was calling. Unit 1 still has plenty of birds even after the burn. Just less prime area to hunt them. Good job on the birds.

• Like 1

Congrats Bob

• Like 1

12 hours ago, wildwoody said:

Very cool, ya the mad cow (Pete's) is now close. There looking for someone to open a restaurant in a old titty bar. Crabs anyone

Congrats again

What? Closed? RIP, bummer.

• Like 2

Congrats Bob he outta taste great. I got up at 3:45 on friday and drove to a spot on Colcord Rd. I was getting my camo on in the back of the truck a heard an Elk bugle. I got all my gear together adn wouldn't you know it I left my tag home and had to go into Payson Town to Wally World and get a duplicate.

Drove back out to a tank I know off of the 102 Road and sat there for 10 hours watching Jays and Squirrels. LOL Usually it is a good spot so I headed out and setup camp just at sunset. Went back to the tank at 4:45 the next morning and at 5:30 I hear a bird gobble about 3-400 yards away just as another Elk bugles about 100 yards behind me. A minute later the bird gobbles again so off I go. It took about 15 minutes to get in his general area and after calling as I got closer and then in the general vicinity he went into silent mode. By 10:00 it was windy so I drove around and called about 15 different spots before heading back to camp late in the day. I thought I was in a offbeat spot but there was a flurry of ATV's yesterday evening. This morning I went back to where I heard the gobbler but turned up nothing. I drove about 10 miles this morning from 4:50 to 7:30 stopping every 100 yards to call but all I heard were crickets and no shots. I'll give it a rest for a while and head back out in two weeks. Another member sent me a pick of his bird yesterday and it was a dandy. Maybe he'll post it up with a story.

• Like 1