Sign in to follow this  
AZBIG10

What’s on the menu?

I don’t have an elk tag this year so I’m not planning heavy on meals. But looking to spend 8 days on my deer hunt. There will be at least 3 decent  dinner meals planned.

what do you guys have in camp.

i saw shepherds made with dintymore last week.May incorporate this on my dinner This year.  looks doable.

Bone in rib eye steaks with baked potatoes is always on the menu for our camp.

• Like 1

I'll cook each night and don't like reheated stuff. I will however marinate meat for a few days or a week then take it with. Lamb Chops are good. I seem to never get back to camp until  after dark. I'll usually change clothes and relax while the fire is started so I don't even put anything on the fire for a good hour.

Once it's cooked I am in the sack in about 45 minutes.

That whole Shepards Pie thing was something I never heard of until I was in my late 50's.

• Like 1

I provide the trailer and my guests do the cooking.  Lol

The only meal I cook is elk steak with a fried egg on top with ranch beans and potato salad.   

I hate cooking.  

20161105_191702.jpg

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, HuntHarder said:

Are you packing in, or hunting from a nice base camp where weight is of no concern? 

Base camp. Can pack for max of 2 days.

First night is always a rib eye with potatoes. Then maybe spaghetti, or Cornish game hens or a couple of chickens, maybe a pork loin, sometimes beef back ribs, maybe a beef roast stew, couple years ago it was antelope roast stew (didn't last long). The steaks are BBQed, the rest of the meat is done in a Dutch oven.

Lobster , crab, steak, spaghetti, chicken fried steak and eggs and much more.. Love to cook in camp

• Like 1

One thing that we always do at some point while we are hunting is green chili burritos using 505 Southwestern Hatch Valley green chile sauce and a Costco whole chicken that we shred and mix together.  Add some sour cream, cheese and anything else that you like.  Super easy and tastes great.

• Like 2

Man, you guys must have time on your hands. I almost always cool in mass ahead of time and heat up the same batch of something every night before I rack out. Especially on early hunts, I can’t get in bed fast enough.

• Like 1

Corn bread and chili in Dutch ovens is  great, Add honey for dessert. In a hurry, instant mashed taters with precooked steak or minute rice with sausage. Jambalaya is always good too.

• Like 1