biglakejake

travel management

Logo

GAME AND FISH NEWS

Sept. 16, 2019
Arizona Game and Fish Department

Apache-Sitgreaves National Forests seek comment on revised Draft Environmental Impact Statement for motorized travel
Comment period ends Oct. 29, 2019

OHV_for_ASNFs_travel_plan_article.jpg

SPRINGERVILLE, Ariz. – The Apache-Sitgreaves National Forests (ASNFs) have released a revised Draft Environmental Impact Statement (DEIS) for ASNFs Public Motorized Travel Management Plan. 

The purpose of the plan is to comply with the federal Travel Management Rule by providing a system of roads, trails, and areas designated for motor vehicle use while protecting biological, physical, and cultural resources.

According to the comment period cover letter on the ASNFs’ website, the revised DEIS analyzed three alternatives. The preferred alternative is Alternative 2 – The Proposed Action, which would designate a system of roads, trails, and areas for motorized use as well as limited motorized access for dispersed camping and limited motorized access for big game retrieval. The proposed action is detailed in the DEIS, which can be found along with other project documents under the “analysis” tab at https://www.fs.usda.gov/project/?project=22692.

“This document will address public issues raised during the formal objection process of the EIS,” said Forest Supervisor Steve Best in an ASNFs news release. 

Hunters, campers, OHV enthusiasts, wildlife watchers and all other outdoor enthusiasts who utilize the forest are encouraged to read the revised DEIS to review the issues and the revised alternatives.

A 60-day public comment period opened Aug. 31 and will run through Oct. 29, 2019. Comments may be submitted electronically on a web form at http://www.fs.usda.gov/goto/TMPWrittenComments, or they can either be: sent by mail to Travel Management Plan Comments, P.O. Box 640, Springerville, AZ 85938; sent by fax to 928-333-5966 (please mark “Attention: Travel Management Plan Comments”); or hand delivered to Supervisor’s Office, 30 S. Chiricahua Dr., Springerville, AZ 85938 between the hours of 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, excluding federal holidays. Comments must have an identifiable name attached or verification of identity will be required. A scanned signature may serve as verification on electronic comments.

The Forest Service has one remaining open house scheduled for Sept. 19, 5-7 p.m., at Show Low Police Department, Darrin Reed Community Room, 411 E. Deuce of Clubs, in Show Low. It will be a self-guided setting where people can browse through information and ask questions.

For more information about the travel management plan, visit https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/asnf/landmanagement/?cid=stelprdb5200750.

For those that may not remember this USFS effort was initiated about 10 years ago and they had to call "time out" due to the devastation of the Wallow Fire in 2011. When I reviewed the maps it appeared the USFS was proposing to close roughly 80% of the existing roads in units 27 and 1. Additionally many roads had already been closed during the Bill Clinton administration without going thru due process requesting prior public opinion. I have not had a chance to review the revised maps for what % roads would be closed (Alternative 2). But Alternative 3 is closing all roads except for firewood gathering or USFS needs. I do know they propose only specifically marked dispersed camping sites close to roads to insure everyone gets to enjoy other outdoorsmen vehicle dust while camping! They also are significantly reducing allowable areas where ATV's can retrieve game. Bottom line these proposed changes will be extremely discriminatory to elderly outdoors enthusiasts as well as children. If approved, there will be many areas that our family has enjoyed for almost 50 years with our children that will no longer be accessible without horses. It is critical that all outdoor enthusiasts submit their comments to the USFS by the end of October.

• Like 1

Just like the "Mexican" wolves, one more thing the Feds are ramming down our throats ...

1 hour ago, Alpinebullwinkle said:

For those that may not remember this USFS effort was initiated about 10 years ago and they had to call "time out" due to the devastation of the Wallow Fire in 2011. When I reviewed the maps it appeared the USFS was proposing to close roughly 80% of the existing roads in units 27 and 1. Additionally many roads had already been closed during the Bill Clinton administration without going thru due process requesting prior public opinion. I have not had a chance to review the revised maps for what % roads would be closed (Alternative 2). But Alternative 3 is closing all roads except for firewood gathering or USFS needs. I do know they propose only specifically marked dispersed camping sites close to roads to insure everyone gets to enjoy other outdoorsmen vehicle dust while camping! They also are significantly reducing allowable areas where ATV's can retrieve game. Bottom line these proposed changes will be extremely discriminatory to elderly outdoors enthusiasts as well as children. If approved, there will be many areas that our family has enjoyed for almost 50 years with our children that will no longer be accessible without horses. It is critical that all outdoor enthusiasts submit their comments to the USFS by the end of October.

Ironic....they paved Big Lake road from Alpine to Big Lake and then close off existing access roads, upside down as usual!!!

From what I saw last year in 5BS not many people give a hoot anyway. People were moving stumps and driving wherever they wanted on closed roads. This entire thing is unenforceable.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ringer said:

From what I saw last year in 5BS not many people give a hoot anyway. People were moving stumps and driving wherever they wanted on closed roads. This entire thing is unenforceable.

I'd be happy if they just enforced people driving where there are no roads.........................like you said pretty tough to enforce!!!

• Like 2

"People were moving stumps and driving wherever they wanted on closed roads". So true I see this all the time. Just very sad that most people want to obey the law....... but USFS mismanagement and absurdity seems to make criminals out of people that want to do what is right.

They're making criminals out of everyone, but it's not criminal for them to allow tractors to drive all over the forest to cut down trees. Also roads are used to stop a lot of wildfires.

On 9/19/2019 at 10:34 AM, Ringer said:

You noticed the same thing too? I was there for the 2018 archery bull elk hunt and people all over the place were it was supposedly closed off. My favorite spot was closed off and at my age there was no way in heck I was going to walk 5 to 6 miles in to hunt. 

They have really drug their feet on getting this out.  However, Apache-Sitgraves has been better than any of the other forests at working with the locals: ref the ATV groups up there and the Saffel Trail.  Give your input -- it may help.