Edge

Walking in the dark to your stand...

9 hours ago, Edge said:

Skunks are just strange little turds and incidentally, a favorite table fare for lions. The felines grab a snack and get a cover scent at the same time.

I woke up once while sleeping on the ground, totally hung over. A skunk was getting into my bags, horse feed and occasionally peering into my sleeping bag as my stinkin dog and I tried to wait him out. He'd sprayed my dog the night before.

I'd finally had had enough and grabbed my carbine with snake shot to blast him. I got out of my fart sack to dispatch the little jerk and he just bound over about 100' to where my horses were tied, stopped under one and did a hand stand, threatening to spray my ride if I didn't mellow.

Soon as I lowered my rifle he got back on all fours and went back into the brush. They're crafty little bung holes.

Crafty little bungholes.

That's funny right there.! So true.

I was camped up at Strayhorse in my trailer for a November archery elk hunt. The biggest skunk I had ever seen had gotten up on the table outside the door, and climbed into a 40 gallon trash can I had outside(no lid), he got trapped in there. I was peeking out the door wondering what to do. I cracked open the door a few inches and used a broom to push the trash can over. I was expecting all heck to break loose, as the bugger wouldn't come out of the trash can. It finally wandered off.

42 minutes ago, CouesPursuit said:

I honestly can't believe so many people are scared of walking in the dark because of lions.

I wasn't prior to reading this thread but you're making me think I should be!

The power of suggestion puts crazy stuff to the back of your mind..........statistics are still in our favor..............so I continue to hike in the dark, but not without some pucker!!!!!

13 minutes ago, Non-Typical Solutions said:

The power of suggestion puts crazy stuff to the back of your mind..........statistics are still in our favor..............so I continue to hike in the dark, but not without some pucker!!!!!

I still have PTSD after watching the movie "Jaws" as a kid. You won't see me swimming in the deep blue, unless it's a sandy beach, with shallow turqoise blue water. 😃

• Like 1

This thread is great. Each time I find myself walking in the dark through lion and bear country, I wonder to myself if there is another hunter out there navigating their way through the same darkness, just as skirmish. I watch all the youtube guys out there that seemingly do it effortlessly, and without concern. Nice to know I'm not alone. I do prefer the hike ins, as at least I tell myself the sun will be up soon. The hikes out are a bit worse, cause you just know its you and darkness for a while. PS my palms just got sweaty typing this, as I'll be bailing into a nasty canyon next month chasing a big 3, in a new unit to me, with its fair share of lions and bears. Can't wait!

If lions are so bad how many documented deaths in Az from lions attacking hunters at night? I thought lions only ate preppy folks on hiking trails in California. I would think folks living in the big cities have more to worry about in your own neighborhoods and malls than at night from a lion.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cjl2010 said:

That’s why I wear my hat backwards. No way a lion can bite through a flat brim.

This is what they wear in India to ward off tiger attacks! 

mask-for-tiger-repelling-sunderban-national-park-west-bengal-india-BFP0P6.jpg

• Haha 1

Guy on another site was on an elk hunt in New Mexico.  They were walking a narrow slot canyon that looked perfect for an ambush.  His buddy points out a tree that just stood out and said, I bet that's where a mountain lion ambushes stuff.  Ground squirrel jumps out and scares the crap out of him as they walk by it.  Next evening after sundown, dark outside they are approaching same tree.  Inspect with flashlights for a few seconds when dude says he was literally about to bust his buddies balls when a big mountain lion went shooting out of the tree, up the wash in front of them.  Guess dude's spidey sense was on point!

If a lion wanted to get me I'm sure he could do it in the daylight just as easy as the dark. I have trail cam video of a lion killing a deer at a spring in the middle of the day. The lion was laying no more than 25  feet from that deer as it was drinking and the deer had no clue. I have left the truck at midnight/1am many of times on solo backpacking trips. I just try not to think about it and tell myself the odds aren't there to get eaten.

Walking in the dark has never bothered me, but I did have an incident that was an underwear changing moment. I was hunting deer on a friend's farm in Ohio during the muzzleloader deer hunt. I left the house about a 1/2 hr. before daylight for my stand that was about 400 yds. into the woods. I was on a trail that followed a small creek. About halfway there, a turkey flew down out of its roost and almost knocked my hat off. I came unglued, lost my balance and spun into the creek, winding up ankle deep in the water. 

• Like 2

Seems like I spend half of my life walking in the dark. Like some others have said, rattlesnakes scare me the worst. But that’s why God invented headlamps! 

• Haha 1

If I'm hiking from mid-march till the end of October in the dark I generally always have turtleskin snake gaiters on. Too many close encounters

3 hours ago, AZBIG10 said:

ill Take a lion over a rattle snake.

I have had many encounters!!!  But at least they give you warnings  

5 hours ago, Shawn said:

If a lion wanted to get me I'm sure he could do it in the daylight just as easy as the dark. I have trail cam video of a lion killing a deer at a spring in the middle of the day. The lion was laying no more than 25  feet from that deer as it was drinking and the deer had no clue. I have left the truck at midnight/1am many of times on solo backpacking trips. I just try not to think about it and tell myself the odds aren't there to get eaten.

If a fricken deer had no clue and its nose, eyes, and ears are better then you.......uhhh  you wont know until you are on the ground trying to fight him off.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Zeke-BE said:

If a fricken deer had no clue and its nose, eyes, and ears are better then you.......uhhh  you wont know until you are on the ground trying to fight him off.

That's exactly my point! If a lion wants to take a human it can do it day or night. It just don't happen often so I will hike in and out in the dark and take my chances 

• Like 1