bigbuckclub

My First AZ Black Bear

A buddy and I decided to go out last Friday to look for bears. The wind made glassing tough... as I'm sure it was for a lot of deer hunters out this past weekend. As luck would have it, we glassed up a nice looking bear feeding away. We worked our way into position a couple of times in the morning, but couldn't get a clear shot. He would casually feed over a small ridge or into some thick cover and we'd re-position. I also wanted to cut the distance a bit more than usual considering the wind. I worked my way into a better position and found him feeding again right around noon. Worked a little closer and had a great rest at 223 yards. I couldn't be happier with this bear... he has battle scars and a big blocky head with character and a beautiful jet black coat. 

IMG_0654.thumb.JPG.f65110d0543d18ee3f0605006c0b79bb.JPGIMG_0645.thumb.JPG.f1113adc8567a1d95cf16dba6ff658f8.JPGIMG_0633.thumb.JPG.6498add7a64a14cbd66c3ab77fa62d9f.JPG

• Like 16
  • Love 1

Thanks guys! I know he'll probably shrink some, but we gave him a rough measure and have him at:

Width: 7 4/16"

Length: 12 12/16"

Total: 20 0/16"

Length (nose to tail): 6'4"

Age (game and fish estimate): 14-15 years old. 

To me he is an AZ bear of a lifetime. An old bruiser who definitely mixed it up for years. He was around 4000-4500 feet elevation and feeding on the juniper berries all morning.  

• Like 2

Thats awesome