ruger1022

Unit 33 Late Rifle?

Hello everyone, 

New to the forum, but excited to be a part of it. I applied for a unit 33 December Coues tag this year, but didn't draw. I just got the call today that I am next in line for a tag someone turned back. I haven't ever hunted Coues Deer or been in the unit before. The reason I applied is my wife's family lives in Tuscon (but don't hunt), and my thought was when I drew I would scout when we went to visit around Thanksgiving. 

My question is, is it worth me picking up the tag this late? I had 8 pts going into the draw this year. I won't get a chance to scout, and I can only hunt Dec 20th through Dec 30th. I'm not looking for a giant, just excited to get out. Do you guys think I could get it done? I don't want to sit on my points forever, and I would like to start hunting every couple years on a season that doesn't take so many points to draw. 

Thanks up front for any insight anyone can give me.  

Ultimately Its completely up to you,  but if it was me, I would take it.  There are a ton of deer in unit 33.  The dates you are planning on going would be the best... as it gets later the hunt should only get better.    

• Like 1

I think you could get it done in 10 days. The week after Christmas will be the best time to hunt that tag. 

If you feel like you need to be more prepared and if your a resident then you will likely draw that tag in the next yr or 2. You could always turn down the tag and archery hunt the same dates this yr.

• Like 2

10 days in 33 is a good amount of time especially considering the time of year. If I were you I would be somewhat picky, that is probably one of the best hunts in the state for coues. Lots of bucks in the 85”-90” range but if you have patience you should see at least one 100” buck in those 10 days. Deer activity should be awesome. In the end it’s up to you but I would take every chance you get to hunt these awesome animals. You won’t be disappointed!

• Like 3

That tag cost me 8 points last year. Its a great hunt. I do like the idea mentioned above and hunting archery to familiarize yourself with the unit. However if it was me.....id take that tag in a heartbeat 

Thanks everyone, sounds like I will probably call and take the tag on Monday. It's good to hear it from a few people before I lose 8 points on a tag. If anyone has any tips or tricks they would be willing to share with a first-time Coues Hunter who doesn't have a ton of time to prepare, it would be greatly appreciated. 

Oh I'd take it. 33 is a fantastic Coues unit and one of my favorite to bowhunt in the late season. If I could draw a December rifle tag I'd hunt every second I could. The number of hunters out in the field is really low due to the limited number of tags and really the number of bowhunters is almost negligible, at least where I've been. Plus the later you go the more the bucks start getting on their feet giving you a chance at a really nice deer. 

Yes get a lion tag! That is one thing you never want to leave home without! 

55 minutes ago, ruger1022 said:

Is it worth picking up a mountain lion tag? Do people run into them often in 33? 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ruger1022 said:

Is it worth picking up a mountain lion tag? Do people run into them often in 33? 

YES!

It is a pretty dang good tag, and there are deer everywhere in the unit. I would take it. My son has the same tag so we will be out there as well. Get up high with good glass and if you don't find deer, you are doing something wrong.

14 hours ago, ruger1022 said:

Thanks everyone, sounds like I will probably call and take the tag on Monday. It's good to hear it from a few people before I lose 8 points on a tag. If anyone has any tips or tricks they would be willing to share with a first-time Coues Hunter who doesn't have a ton of time to prepare, it would be greatly appreciated. 

Good glass and glass off of a tripod,  you will see way more with a tripod.