Sign in to follow this  
tomharveyb

Upcoming elk draw-6b,6a,or 8?

The draw is coming up in a couple months.  I’m at the point in my hunting life (70) where I am likely to get one more early archery bull hunt.  After that, I plan to put in for whatever cow hunt gives me the best chance to hunt elk.   I have 8 points and according to toprut can draw 6a or 6b and am likely to draw 8.  I have been a 5b south guy but am tired of the wait.  Not a trophy hunter.  Would like a respectable 6x6.  What are you guys thoughts? Open to other units but these 3 are in reach now.

I’ve looked at 6b it looks rough and the little access gets hit hard. 

im holding for a 5bs early bull. I’ve killed a few bulls with a compound. My next will be with my long bow. 

I am in the same boat with  five bonus points. I am going to do exactly what elkaholic said. There was a proposed  early muzzleloader hunt in 5BS. I am guessing it went ahead and was approved. The archery hunt follows which pushes it back into the last week of September. Should be a great hunt. 

I hunted 6B for many years.  Way too many tags for that unit now.  Would be much better if they went back to 100 bull, 100 cow for archery or something similar.  That could probably be said for a lot of units now.  Glad to see a few units drop a bit this year.  I realize this will lower odds and decrease revenue for the Department but the quality of this hunt has suffered tremendously.  Especially with the proliferation of roads over the last couple of decades.  What used to be little logging trails are now full on roads in many places.  That stuff lowers the quality of the experience of the hunt.  Besides hard to get more than half a mile from a road up on the top part of the unit.  The last time I had an elk tag there I couldn't get away from people no matter what I tried.  The Canyon is there but it doesn't seem to hold as many elk as the higher, flatter stuff IME.

• Like 2

With how the late hunts went this year. Probably gonna be a higher age class of bulls next year. 6b and 8 can hold good bulls. The caveat, the number of tag holders and all their buddies out in the woods blowing calls and running roads. Which can make for a very frustrating experience. You're right on the edge of being able to draw a great tag if you can be just a little more patient, God willing. But if you do plan on putting in for both of those units and draw, please feel free to PM me. Would be more than happy to help you out any way I can. Good luck!

• Like 1

Thanks for the input guys.   I’m definitely reconsidering sticking with 5b south.   Tough to go another year without an elk tag though.   Previously i’ve Never gone more than 5 years.  Either i’ve been lucky or the game is changing-a lot!

I agree with the comments above but let me know if you decide to put in for 6a. I should be up there this year helping or hunting. Just need to know where big boys go when pressure starts. IMG_20190903_195940.thumb.jpg.fb7545543db6cae9e9e401a6006bd0e1.jpgHere's a bull in there I put a friend from New York on in archery season and he missed at 38 yards. He's currently in therapy 😂

• Like 2
  • Wow! 2

Therapy! 

That is funny! 

I feel your pain, I to am at the twilight of my career (65) and can manage maybe 2 more archery bull hunts in AZ given the draw odds before Im designated down to only being camp bitch. I decided that Im going elk hunting every year that I have left. Am putting in for the Montana combo tag this year along with my Az tag. And as a fail safe I can always go and buy a tag in Colorado over the counter.Like you I enjoy the experience to much to not go, Lets make the most of it while we can. Elk Hunting or Bust.

• Like 4