Sign in to follow this  
Couzer

New Smoker on the market

4 minutes ago, muledeerarea33? said:

Only reason I haven’t jumped on the pellet smoker band wagon is I don’t want to have to run electricity to where my smoker is. I’m looking into a cold smoke box that’ll do pellets or chips with propane.

Totally reasonable 

A Yoder ys640 pellet smoker has been on my radar for about 8 years now. Im just waiting for my Teton pellet smoker to go out. But when it does go out im going to give this gravity fed charcoal a look. 

I have been working with a pit barrel cooker with phenomenal results.  Pretty affordable too.    Its charcoal and you add what ever wood chunks you want for flavor

• Like 1

5 hours ago, azslim said:

I'm still using a Little Chief my Dad got me in about 1975, has done a few tons of meat and fish in it's life, doesn't get hot enough to cook big pieces, I finish them in the oven

I also have the old R2D2 Brinkman. A bunch or work for sure.

The taste difference - pellets vs wood, has more to do with the intensity of the smoke flavor.  I find pellet grills to be on the light side no matter the wood or smoke times.  A quick Google search will reveal many agree with me.  They sell an add on smoke generator.  I believe it can be used with your pellet grill for added smoke or even cold smoking.

Love my Cabelas pellet grill.  Look forward to picking up the add on smoke generator to obtain the smokier flavor I prefer.

• Like 1

On 12/30/2019 at 9:34 PM, Vowell said:

I agree but a wood smoker has much better flavor than the processed pellet smoker. 

I run a pellet tube in my pellet grill to add a bit more smoke flavor

• Like 1

12 hours ago, muledeerarea33? said:

Lovin’ the patina!!

👍  Had to Google that one.    Always nice to add another word to my very limited vocabulary. ;) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stanley said:

👍  Had to Google that one.    Always nice to add another word to my very limited vocabulary. ;) 

Did brine it and dry it to get the pellicle skin before smoking