muley224

wolves

What about this one? Looks like a wolf to my eye.

IMG_0780..jpg

IMG_0778..jpg

• Like 2

On 1/7/2020 at 9:51 AM, Alpinebullwinkle said:

What frosts me the most is I have located three different wolf feeding stations within one mile of residences in or around Alpine. That is just wrong and asking for trouble, enticing wolf interaction with humans. Those wolf reintroduction resources that are doing that should be incarcerated IMHO !! Additionally, I have trail pictures of wolves in my yard at my Alpine residence. Doesn't make my son and daughter-in-law warm and fuzzy when they visit with the grand kids. Unfortunately it likely is too late to reverse this ill-advised government dog experiment. 

You know the point of this is to keep them out of town.   In theory having a good source just out of town will not give them a reason to go into town.    And this whole going after people and kids is ridiculous 

30 minutes ago, Northern Pintail said:

You know the point of this is to keep them out of town.   In theory having a good source just out of town will not give them a reason to go into town.    And this whole going after people and kids is ridiculous 

You know what should happen? They should treat them like actual wild animals and stop feeding them all together. 

• Like 4

On 1/10/2020 at 6:05 PM, azbirdhunter88 said:

They will keep moving also. I hope the hogs from Texas keep moving and end up here. Love me some hog hunting. Then I won’t have to drive to Texas every year. 

Im confused!  You don't think anyone should shoot buros or wild horses because they are native!  Fact the Spaniards brought them over in the 1500s.  Also with pigs and let them loose wild in Florida so when they come back they have an extra source of food to hunt because they populate so fast.  But cool shooting hogs?

• Like 4

https://blogs.wsj.com/canadarealtime/2013/02/27/who-knew-canada-is-no-3-in-global-horse-meat-export-trade/

canada is no 3 in export of horse meat.

pretty sure the machaca the mexicans at my work bring back from sonora is burro meat. tastes good tho

James

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, GreyGhost85 said:

You know what should happen? They should treat them like actual wild animals and stop feeding them all together. 

I agree but this is their way of trying to prevent cattle depredations and human interactions

19 minutes ago, Northern Pintail said:

I agree but this is their way of trying to prevent cattle depredations and human interactions

Sooooo..... when humans feed animals, it prevents human interaction? Ever heard the whole “a fed bear is a dead bear” slogan? Why would it not apply to a wolf? 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, GreyGhost85 said:

Sooooo..... when humans feed animals, it prevents human interaction? Ever heard the whole “a fed bear is a dead bear” slogan? Why would it not apply to a wolf? 

I think the thought process is because they are feeding them a natural food source.   Trash cans for bears are natural for bears

Lets re-introduce the wolves to Phoenix and Tucson. When the wolves start feeding on fido and fefe the rest of the population will become more educated about this ill-advised experiment with government dogs. I know...........an extreme thought process and comment........... But with about equal common sense as what is being used for management of the current re-introduction program.

what an utter and complete  joke.  not even blonde. why are they selling tags and harvesting elk? if they want to have 16,000  elk again they need to Wait  until then to sell ANY tags. 

I doubt any wildlife professional will say the decline is due to wolves. and no matter,  if they want more elk , restore and improve habitat. and eliminate tags until the desired population is reached. I bet it is easier to draw in Idaho than Arizona. the reason for the decline is due to the continued sale of tags . 

On 12/30/2019 at 12:45 PM, muley224 said:

A very concerning Stat.....

80668418_10157880052542889_4692047446400827392_n.jpg

While predation by wolves cannot be discounted, it is not the main factor that caused this population decline. Wolves were reintroduced in 1995 and that handful didn’t make substantial kills to this herd for several years. The major environmental factors that caused the elk herd decline was the succession of meadows into forest and harsh winters. The 1996-97 decline was the result of winter kill and not the dozen wolves that were reintroduced. This data is cherry picked to provide a false narrative. Furthermore, the wolf population in this area has been reduced for several years without any elk population rebound. The  data points to habitat as the main culprit. Elk don’t have nearly as many food sources in a mature forest as meadow areas. The previously large herds in this region can be attributed to post burn ecosystem that had more food sources for the elk. Essentially, the forest matured and preferred food sources (grasses, shrubs, etc) were choked out by the forest canopy. Below is a link explaining the severity of these historic fires, which kickstarted the secondary succession in this region.

https://foresthistory.org/research-explore/us-forest-service-history/policy-and-law/fire-u-s-forest-service/famous-fires/the-1910-fires/

• Like 1