Jump to content
Flatlander

Suppressor-Where to start

Recommended Posts

After seeing my son hunt with a suppressed rifle for the first time this fall I realize this is hands down the way to hunt, especially for kids.

A few questions I have as I try to get started:

- If I don’t have a trust set up can I use my can on multiple rifles legally?

- Without a trust I believe only the registered owner of the suppressor can technically shoot the suppressed rifle. Is that correct?

- I am hoping to purchase a single suppressor for use across several rifles. It looks like the best way to be able to do this is to install a flash suppressor with quick detach on each rifle and then quick-connect to that. Is that the best approach? Or is there a way to just install a quick-connect without the flash hider?

- Any recommendation on a can for such an application?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Flatlander said:

- If I don’t have a trust set up can I use my can on multiple rifles legally?

Yes you can.

1 hour ago, Flatlander said:

- Without a trust I believe only the registered owner of the suppressor can technically shoot the suppressed rifle. Is that correct?

Not positive, on this one. As long as you're present I think others can shoot the suppressed gun. If the person is part of the trust than they might be able to use on their own.

1 hour ago, Flatlander said:

- I am hoping to purchase a single suppressor for use across several rifles. It looks like the best way to be able to do this is to install a flash suppressor with quick detach on each rifle and then quick-connect to that. Is that the best approach? Or is there a way to just install a quick-connect without the flash hider?

It's an option but no reason you can't direct thread onto any rifle as long as it's got compatible threads. Just depends on the design of the suppressor.

1 hour ago, Flatlander said:

- Any recommendation on a can for such an application?

Look into Thunderbeast cans. They have both QD and direct thread models.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

- If I don’t have a trust set up can I use my can on multiple rifles legally?

YES

- Without a trust I believe only the registered owner of the suppressor can technically shoot the suppressed rifle. Is that correct?

No. You must be present, but anyone can use them in your presence.

- I am hoping to purchase a single suppressor for use across several rifles. It looks like the best way to be able to do this is to install a flash suppressor with quick detach on each rifle and then quick-connect to that. Is that the best approach? Or is there a way to just install a quick-connect without the flash hider?

I have several 30 cal cans that I use on many different calibers. Because I do not switch them out "quickly" (like go from gun to gun to gun  at the range) I just went with direct thread. I am not a fan of the QD systems, but others are.

- Any recommendation on a can for such an application?

Go see Bruce at MR Silencer in Mesa. Honest and straightforward guy. Will not push you towards any brand but will tell you the benefits of each.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am waiting for a Silencer Co Omega 300.   It will cover my rifles from my .556 to 300 win mag.    Check out Silencer Shop.  They have an easy way to set up a trust if you are so inclined to go that route.  I bought mine through Mr. Silencer in Mesa.  Filled out all my paper work and electronic fingerprints right there in the shop using the kiosk which made it super easy to do.    It was super easy and a pain free process. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What do think the wait time is going with trust and non trusted?

12 minutes ago, Kaffer62 said:

I am waiting for a Silencer Co Omega 300.   It will cover my rifles from my .556 to 300 win mag.    Check out Silencer Shop.  They have an easy way to set up a trust if you are so inclined to go that route.  I bought mine through Mr. Silencer in Mesa.  Filled out all my paper work and electronic fingerprints right there in the shop using the kiosk which made it super easy to do.    It was super easy and a pain free process. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.silencershop.com/atf-wait-times.    Here is a link to the silencer shops compiled wait times that they have been experiencing.  It looks like the trust takes longer.   I am guessing it depends on how many people are listed on your trust. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thunder beast. One suppressor attaches to the brake on multiple guns.  I have a tbac 9 in 30 cal.  Absolutely go with a trust. Look up member Rancillio 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I bought the Yankee hill titanium quick detached in a 30 cal and have been very pleased with it. I can put it on most all my rifles from 30 cal to 22 cal. It’s light weight because those dang things can be heavy. I also purchased 2 quick attachments for different thread patterns. 
 

To EVERYONE that does not have a can, you are missing out, but you can’t miss something that you never tried. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was talking to a guy in pistol parlor a few weeks ago about wait times. He said they are seeing trusts take up to 14 months because the ATF outsourced that end of it. He said individuals have been coming back in about 9 months. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Silencers for all! Let me know what other questions you have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×