Sign in to follow this  
DUG

Turkey experts get in here please.

I'm taking my girl up for the jr. turkey hunt this weekend. Do turkeys travel a particular direction when it's windy? (Into the wind?) Do they not move as much when it's windy? What time do you usual see them water? I'm doing more research but hoping some of you guys can chip in any experiences that could help a rookie. My girl is tired of being cooped up and is looking forward to getting in the woods for a few days.

As was said, they water any time of day.  They also don't necessarily water every day or in the same place, so sitting water requires days of patience.  This time of year, you're probably better off hunting them by calling or locating them by their calls.

• Like 1

I am by no means an expert. But I know enough to know that wind, can be a turkey hunt killer. I'll be following to see what others say, cause the wind has made it brutal on us on more than one occasion. Not saying it can't be done, but it sure makes it a lot harder. But on the flip side, when you finally get a nice calm day after several rough days, it can be epic!

• Like 1

Am I the only Turkey expert in here?  They roost at night, come to turkey calls in the day  and are drier than a butterball you buy from the store.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

In my experience Turkey's still call in the wind, we just have a difficult time hearing them.  Due to that, I don't call once the wind picks up.  Your best option is to sit water when it's windy!  I usually drive around and check as many water sources as possible.  I will usually eventually find a water source that's getting hit regularly.  Once I find that water, I sit on it all day during windy days.  Turkey's usually water 2 or 3 times a day.  Even if they don't water, they like to feed around good water sources. 

If it's windy, sit water

if it's calm, cover a lot of ground calling.  

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Big Browns said:

In my experience Turkey's still call in the wind, we just have a difficult time hearing them. 

This is the correct answer. Doing your homework scouting and knowing the pattern of the flock will pay off big time on windy days. Work with the wind in your face and you will be able to hear them better. Only down side is you will have to move in closer so they can hear your calling. It can be a lot of fun waiting for them to walk over a ridge or behind trees so you can cut the distance. A couple years ago on a super windy day I followed a flock from a distance for a mile or so before I was able get close enough for them to hear my calling, they came running when we got close enough for them to hear. We could hear them but they couldn't hear us.

• Like 3

All good info and also try to roost one the night before so you have an idea where there hanging out, get in there before light and call softly just before they hit the ground it can work.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Little Creek Calls said:

This is the correct answer. Doing your homework scouting and knowing the pattern of the flock will pay off big time on windy days. Work with the wind in your face and you will be able to hear them better. Only down side is you will have to move in closer so they can hear your calling. It can be a lot of fun waiting for them to walk over a ridge or behind trees so you can cut the distance. A couple years ago on a super windy day I followed a flock from a distance for a mile or so before I was able get close enough for them to hear my calling, they came running when we got close enough for them to hear. We could hear them but they couldn't hear us.

what this guy said.  I've got up to move after a set only to spook a bird that I either never heard or was coming in silent.  Patience, patience , patience.  They hear WAAAY better than we do.

2 hours ago, HuntHarder said:

Am I the only Turkey expert in here?  They roost at night, come to turkey calls in the day  and are drier than a butterball you buy from the store.  

You are no expert... you are anti turkey... talking me out of hunting  a tag to go fishing.  ANTURKA!

Not sure if it will help but last year we glassed some up on a windy day in a cut out of the wind strutting away 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, NOTAGS said:

You are no expert... you are anti turkey... talking me out of hunting  a tag to go fishing.  ANTURKA!

You are very welcome!  You have to admit, the table fare we bring home from the ocean, trumps a wild turkey any day.

• Like 1