Sign in to follow this  
CatfishKev

Annual Cwt tuna trip

Dam Jeff! I remember you talking about the tests before.  Did some of those that failed this time around pass before? Or are these previously untested.

Thats one thing I like about fishing mono line primarily. You can respool with fresh line every year and not spend a giant fortune.

12 hours ago, Ohthatguy said:

I decided to check some gear for the upcoming trips and wow was it disappointing.  My 2 year old 80# and 100# Power Pro braid will not lift 50lbs even after getting it wet..  Tried the Palomar, modified Palomar, Uni, Modified Uni and my favorite, the San Diego Jam knots..  Tried braid to mono knots and the braid broke every time vs 80# mono.  (Didn't test the FG as I already decided to go buy new line before tying that silly thing.)

Palomar and San Diego Jam knots are my favorites. If you double the line on the SD Jam it is as good a knot as there is.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

Did some of those that failed this time around pass before? Or are these previously untested.

I usually test everything before going out so I was happy with it all last year. That makes the results that much more confusing..  My gear isn't going to put out 50+lbs of drag but I want as much insurance as possible and 50# knot strength shouldn't be a problem for 100# braid. Maybe it's time to step up to hollow core and be done with knots all together. 

4 hours ago, Heat said:

Thats one thing I like about fishing mono line primarily. You can respool with fresh line every year and not spend a giant fortune.

Totally agree but all I do is fish the cattle boats so inevitably you will wind up crossing/tangling lines with someone and in that fight, I want the sharper knife.. And having 700+ yards of line is not a bad thing in my opinion.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2021 at 11:09 AM, Swivelhead said:

Going on a 3 day this weekend.  Hoping to get my 1st 100+ pounder.  

If the pics I saw on Facebook are him I'd say our boy Swivelhead killed it!

• Like 4

On 6/7/2021 at 12:00 PM, Heat said:

If the pics I saw on Facebook are him I'd say our boy Swivelhead killed it!

Boarded the Success 11 am Friday morning, got bait and motored south.  The whole fleet was approximately 60 miles out.  Saw a fair amount of whales and a few dolphin pods in the area where the fleet was fishing.  Got my 1st fish Saturday afternoon, the fish taped 196# and weighed 184# gilled, gutted and bled at the processor.  Fish was hooked on a balloon rig that suspended a mullet with a 20/0 circle hook.  The reel was the boats 50W 2 speed Avet spooled with 130# braid and a 250# leader.  Fish had power like I've never felt, ever!  Probably took 30 minutes  from strike to gaff.  I was spent.

Caught a 100# +/- fish  that weighed 85# gilled, gutted and bled @ processor.  Got the fish Sunday afternoon on a sinker rig using a sardine for bait.  Rod/reel combo was my personal rig, a 2 speed Avet spooled with 80# mono and a 80# fluoro leader.  That fish took me 30 minutes from strike to gaff.  Again, I was spent.  Missed a few strikes and broke off what was likely a very nice fish.  Caught a 30# fish too.  My friend caught his limit, the fish were 30 - 60#. 

My buddy and I were among the least experienced anglers on the boat, fellow anglers came well prepared and had a ton of experience.  They caught a lot of fish and shared their knowledge, cool people who were fun to fish with.  Learned a lot on this trip.  Not sure of the actual fish count but I'd say there at least six 100# +/- bluefin caught including another balloon fish that went 150# IIRC.  Cary put us on fish, he is relentless.  Deckhands were good, food was a "B", good but not great.  Great trip, go now!

200 Pound Bluefin.jpg

100 Pound Bluefin.jpg

• Like 7
  • Wow! 2

Thanks for the report Dan, that is unreal! Great work man and congratulations on your jumbo!

• Like 1

Little PSA.

If you are thinking about chasing the BFT soon and are in need of any gear, don't wait until the last minute to buy it. I have found the pickings to be slim especially on the bigger +250g jigs.  I thought I scored with J&B Tackle but they processed my order, shipped it late and only after it shipped did they inform me that 40% of my order was backordered. (Even though the items could be placed in my cart and showed them to be in stock)

• Like 1

I'm jealous, I got  a shark off the pier.. Great fish, is that dad.

On 6/16/2021 at 9:11 AM, Ohthatguy said:

Little PSA.

If you are thinking about chasing the BFT soon and are in need of any gear, don't wait until the last minute to buy it. I have found the pickings to be slim especially on the bigger +250g jigs.  I thought I scored with J&B Tackle but they processed my order, shipped it late and only after it shipped did they inform me that 40% of my order was backordered. (Even though the items could be placed in my cart and showed them to be in stock)

I had the sane experience with Melton. Showed in stock. Paid. Got an email a week later that it was backordered. 

found what I needed on ebay and everything has shipped. 

• Like 1

Returned this morning from a 1.5 day on Sea Adventure 80. Quick version: 

I have never fished this hard or long on a trip before.  As soon as we set out and the Captain gave the talk, he said we should go get sleep now and not hang out or goof off as we were in for a marathon. He wasn't kidding. We woke up on fish at 2:00AM and chased fish non-stop until 10:30 that night. Not a crazy bite and many stops ran the fish off or produced no fish but many had singles or doubles so it was a slow but steady trip.

Huge amount of fish out there and only 20 miles out so over 60 boats in the AM. When the Red Rooster and all the other nice long range boats are in close, you know it's good.

Schoolies were taken on fly lines and dropper rigs down in the 75-125' range.  Big boys down between 175-300' was the call so I spent all my time down deep but blanked. Again.. Another big or bust trip for me.

Finished with around 40 fish on deck and a few at the 100# mark. Quite a few break off's and one nice fish straightened out a 4/0 Owner at the boat after a two hour fight.  Another spooled a deckhands reel in just a few minutes.

Big snipers and dropper rigs got the action by the bigger class fish most of the day. (Around dusk it seemed to be the 100g and under jigs got the action.)

Captain, food and crew all get HUGE thumbs up and would absolutely recommend the boat. (I have been on this boat before and don't remember being this impressed so not sure if it was a different crew or ??)

The fish are there and chances will rarely be any better at landing a trophy so if a big BFT is on your list, go.

• Like 3