Sign in to follow this  
CatfishKev

Annual Cwt tuna trip

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a 1.5 Day Trip for Father's Day weekend. Departing Saturday, fishing all day Sunday, and returning to the dock early Monday AM. Looking for some company perhaps before I book. Probably will go regardless. Been looking at this boat pretty hard last few years but its normally booked. This year it is booked solid from July through October. PM or reply here if you might be interested in going fishing for Father's Day.

I’ve been watching Bloodline on Discovery lately and have started getting the tuna itch. Working that weekend or I might be tempted. 

• Like 1

Was in San Diego this last week, yellow fin was going good..

15 hours ago, wildwoody said:

Was in San Diego this last week, yellow fin was going good..

The fleet is on Bluefin tuna right now, yellow fin probs won't appear for a few months.

The bluefin fishing is good right now, and legit trophies are within 1.5 day fishing range. I just got back from a 3 day. None of the fish in the first pic are under 45# and several are well over 100#

IMG_2176 2.JPG

IMG_2175 2.JPG

• Like 5
  • Wow! 1

SD later this week with the family...not going to get any fishing in, but any specific recommendations on where to see the big catches being brought in?

1 hour ago, bigorange said:

SD later this week with the family...not going to get any fishing in, but any specific recommendations on where to see the big catches being brought in?

Any of the landings first thing 5:30-7am, Seaforth or Fishermans. I was on the Polaris Supreme out of Seaforth. 

16 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Thinking of going ASAP. 

If you don’t have cow gear don’t be afraid to rent. I had a Mak 15 on full drag with 80# flouro leader Phenix Access 720HX full bendo and throbbing on the rail for close to and hour when the leader snapped, not at the knot. We had deep color at one point and the deck hand said the fish was 180-200#. I was undergunned. My hands hurt. 

7 minutes ago, Siwash said:

Any of the landings first thing 5:30-7am, Seaforth or Fishermans. I was on the Polaris Supreme out of Seaforth. 

If you don’t have cow gear don’t be afraid to rent. I had a Mak 15 on full drag with 80# flouro leader Phenix Access 720HX full bendo and throbbing on the rail for close to and hour when the leader snapped, not at the knot. We had deep color at one point and the deck hand said the fish was 180-200#. I was undergunned. My hands hurt. 

I’m gonna bring my 2 rods and rent a 80lb or 100lb whatever the case may be if I go. 

23 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

I’m gonna bring my 2 rods and rent a 80lb or 100lb whatever the case may be if I go. 

Captains are all recommending a minimum of 80 and are getting a lot of lost fish due to breakoffs. Lots of big fish hitting flatfalls. Good Luck.

Seaforth has new Penn Fathom 2 speeds for rent.

They are spooled with mono. I think its 80lb .

I think its $20 or $25 for the day.

Crazy every fish in that picture have lures in there mouth.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I decided to check some gear for the upcoming trips and wow was it disappointing.  My 2 year old 80# and 100# Power Pro braid will not lift 50lbs even after getting it wet..  Tried the Palomar, modified Palomar, Uni, Modified Uni and my favorite, the San Diego Jam knots..  Tried braid to mono knots and the braid broke every time vs 80# mono.  (Didn't test the FG as I already decided to go buy new line before tying that silly thing.)

Then decided to check the mono alone and had the failure below that I was not expecting. I was testing using this spare rig from a 250 Flatfall  (Shimano, not a knockoff). It is likely last years but at the most it's two years old. It failed at about 60lbs. Shimano states it is 250# braid on that size jig.  I have always changed out the hooks on my jigs when the 100# BFT are possible but always figured it would be the hooks, not the braid that failed.  All line and gear is stored in the house so they didn't cook out in the garage at all.

I heard there was a LOT of counterfeit Power Pro out there and that is specifically why I purchased it from Bass Pro back then. Don't know the reason why but it's not holding up now but I get to spend another chunk of money on new string..  Probably hit Phx Fishing and let them load up all my reels. 

Much better to find out now than after losing a good tuna.  Check that gear and tight lines!!

Resized_20210605_203002_5757.thumb.jpeg.3bfe81aa342b33bfb29f91d426293591.jpeg

• Wow! 1