down2hunt

Rut Activity

47 minutes ago, AzDiamondHeat said:

This is the first time in 9 years I am sitting at home on opening day.

Congrats to those who have tagged and good luck to those out in the field.

9 years of elk hunting.. You're one lucky guy!

49 minutes ago, OpticNerd said:

9 years of elk hunting.. You're one lucky guy!

My guess is he was probably not carrying a tag all 9 times.

1 minute ago, bigj23 said:

Here is my opening day.  I love chasing bugles but wouldn’t change this day for anything.  

5402368C-828D-4C11-9C74-FBBD3CF77101.jpeg

Are those catfish?

7 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

My guess is he was probably not carrying a tag all 9 times.

Probably right with that guess. Tag or not you're one lucky dude if you get to go elk hunting  for 9 years in a row.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PRDATR said:

Are those catfish?

Look like bullheads. Throw em up on the bank. 

• Like 2

Yep.  We come to this spot every year.  We Todd them back for the next time, it is just a little waterhole.  

I don’t have a tag.  We will run around and listen over the next few days.  I will head out Sunday to call for a buddy in 5a and the same next weekend.  

No bugles last night in 5b south, so hopefully tonight we can hear a few.  

Unit 6a was on fire this morning. There were so many bugles we could keep track of them. We passed a couple and had some missed opportunities but its a great day to be in the woods!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, border hunter said:

Unit 6a was on fire this morning. There were so many bugles we could keep track of them. We passed a couple and had some missed opportunities but its a great day to be in the woods!

Love 6A.

14 minutes ago, border hunter said:

Funny 6B has nothing going

2 hours ago, OpticNerd said:

Probably right with that guess. Tag or not you're one lucky dude if you get to go elk hunting  for 9 years in a row.

Correct, not my tags. Well some of them were. It is hard to believe but I do actually have enough friends that get drawn that I get invited every year. Its the curse of being a master of elk a calling......lol

This year we have 2 hunts in October to make up for nothing in September.

I do feel lucky when I get to be in the woods chasing elk. I am a simple city boy so the mountains are an escape for me.

• Like 1

Not much going on in 1. A few weak bugles in the morning. Passed on a thin 6x6. Probably should have taken him. 

I looked up the numbers from the helicopter yesterday. Not game and fish. I am definitely reporting it. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ctafoya said:

Not much going on in 1. A few weak bugles in the morning. Passed on a thin 6x6. Probably should have taken him. 

I looked up the numbers from the helicopter yesterday. Not game and fish. I am definitely reporting it. 

Thats fuckin bs man.  Any official to do anything AZ I would think would not pull this shoot a day before a hunt.   Makes me wonder if it's rez folk pushing bulls back "home".  Absolutely report it. And post back!

• Like 2

2 rahgorns my son passed up  in 7west today and not 1 bugle for us. We have the whole hunt off so hopefully it kicks in at some point.