Big Browns

Need Glassers in unit 22 tonight & tomorrow morning

2 hours ago, bonecollector said:

Great morning! Thomas hammered that buck and dropped him in his tracks. Glad I could be there, thanks for the invite.

I think that’s so cool that a guy could make a call for help and a bunch of you fellas just went out and helped that lad on a moments notice.  Real class acts each and every one.

Nice work, all.

• Like 7

Super nice buck, sorry I missed it I was in Greer, having a bad time fishing.. Lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ok so I’ll probably get beat up for this, but i’m a grown man who can take it.   Don’t get me wrong....I’m super happy when a kid is successful.    That being said, I hate the idea of a bunch of guys going out and covering every nook and cranny and calling in the “shooter” when they find their game.   To me, that’s not what it’s all about.   I hated the 20 man deer drives in Iowa where I grew up.   I hate it when the big shot guides do it.   Last week, it was just me and my grandson hunting, figuring out where the elk bed, where they feed, and getting a cow during the youth hunt as a result.   To each their own I guess.   My rant is over.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, tomharveyb said:

Ok so I’ll probably get beat up for this, but i’m a grown man who can take it.   Don’t get me wrong....I’m super happy when a kid is successful.    That being said, I hate the idea of a bunch of guys going out and covering every nook and cranny and calling in the “shooter” when they find their game.   To me, that’s not what it’s all about.   I hated the 20 man deer drives in Iowa where I grew up.   I hate it when the big shot guides do it.   Last week, it was just me and my grandson hunting, figuring out where the elk bed, where they feed, and getting a cow during the youth hunt as a result.   To each their own I guess.   My rant is over.

Understandable. I hate it when it's done for business and when this guy will buy a governor's tag and also buy an army of guides. But hunting is also about making new friends and relationships. Taught the kid a great lesson and maybe now one day that kid will do the same!

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, tomharveyb said:

Congratulations on getting your grandson an elk.  This was about hunters supporting other hunters and that's it.  BigBrowns had helped so many people over the years and would likely do it for you if you ever needed it.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion but ultimately we should all support each other.   

• Like 7

59 minutes ago, tomharveyb said:

If you enjoy hunting by yourself that's your right, but personally I like hunting with friends.

I also don't feel this is the place to voice your opinion when the intent was to help a KID!  I just don't understand why fellow hunters have to be so devisive!  Why can't you just be happy our passion for hunting is being shared and most likely continued with a future generation!!!!

This type of devisive and negative talk is why  so many good people have stopped contributing to this forum!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tomharveyb said:

I don’t think anybody has a problem with choosing to hunt that way. What does bug me is when grown men and women feel like they have to poo poo the way someone hunted in a story they chose to share with the whole site, just because it isn’t exactly the flavor of hunting they prefer.

Imagine if some dude came on here and said how stupid you were for hunting 1:1 with your grandson. What if long range guys came on here and told guys that shoot deer at 200 yds that their way of hunting was inferior or lame or whatever. Why do people find it necessary to come gripe about how someone else chooses to hunt. What if guys who shoot dinks came and bitched about guys shooting bucks that are “too big”. 

I just don’t get why people feel compelled to come on a site, read someone else’s story and then complain about it as if it will somehow cause everyone else to have some revelation about the enlightened form of hunting.

It would be super cool if people were just like.. “Great buck, congrats!”

• Like 11
  • Love 1

Let me try again..wasn’t trying to divide anybody.   Just airing My opinion.  I said I was super happy to see a kid succeed. To all you guys who ripped me,  No need to get your undies in a wad because I see things differently than you.   Great buck, congrats

27 minutes ago, tomharveyb said:

Let me try again..wasn’t trying to divide anybody.   Just airing My opinion.  I said I was super happy to see a kid succeed. To all you guys who ripped me,  No need to get your undies in a wad because I see things differently than you.   Great buck, congrats

I think perhaps there’s just a difference in perspectives.  I, personally, enjoy to hunt all alone and I also enjoy to hunt with my good friend when our plans can line up.  But that’s just a personal preference, I don’t think it’s necessarily better or worse than how others hunt.  Historically, hunting has long been a male bonding group effort across many cultures.  It’s a tradition that spans millennia for men and the boys who are old enough to ride away from the village and chase wild game in the wilderness.  Theres certainly a value to working hard on your own and accepting either success or failure on your own, but there also a significant value to seeing a group effort bare fruit isn’t there?  I also think in an age where virtually anything that is the least bit manly is labeled ‘toxic masculinity’ or some other nonsense, it’s vitally important for young lads to be around men doing manly things and to see that it’s a good thing to be manly and they’re not alone in those endeavors.  The only thing better for a boy than spending time with a good man is to spend time with several good men.  From that perspective , I think there’s a huge value in guys coming together to help a kid on his hunt.  Just my .02

congrats to you and your son on that cow hunt :)

• Like 5