Sign in to follow this  
CatfishKev

First hunt for Enoch, 35a second hunt.

Had a heck of a time on this hunt.  Missed opening morning, friday night nothing showed up and the rest of the weekend was brutally windy.  Member forepaw (Steve) had been coming out to help glass which was a huge help, thanks Steve!

Last night looking for a little spike that disappeared into a thicket another one popped out as light was starting to fade. Called steve over to keep an eye on him while we moved into position.

Got into position and bumped a doe who ran up right by where the bucks were hanging out.  Got the rifle set up and this little dude came into an opening to see what the doe was running from. He stood perfectly broadside staring at us.  Eenie made a perfect 200 yard shot.  He immediately was upset and said "oh no i think i injured him", no buddy you got him. As he shot i saw him jump like he should have and bolt, with an audible crash in the brush.  Went back to get Steve and headed up the hill. Had just enough light to take a couple decent pics.  Super proud of Eeenie, he was a trooper. Mom came out to meet us and congratulate him on his first deer. Sissy wanted to get in the pic too.

20201109_185724.thumb.jpg.a8f5e10e1875199caa91c1297022406d.jpg

20201109_185227.thumb.jpg.22e4a87395e4642f755ca6a9b045410d.jpg

• Like 27

Hey Kev, you are more than welcome!  I am always glad to help a young person have a positive hunting or fishing experience and enjoyed it like I would my own hunt.  I am glad everything came together, as it was far from a guaranteed outcome.  You deserve a lot of credit for coaching and judgement, and keeping Enoch's spirits up.  And like you mentioned, it was really touch and go.  You both had to race up that hill, with light fading fast, wind blowing, spooky deer dancing around, and get set up and make the shot.  Enoch stayed calm and made it happen, which I could tell was not that easy to do under those conditions. 

I am glad he was pleased with his deer and the hunt.  His first thought was making sure he had hit the deer solidly, which says his ethics are on the right track.  Great job!  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, forepaw said:

Hey Kev, you are more than welcome!  I am always glad to help a young person have a positive hunting or fishing experience and enjoyed it like I would my own hunt.  I am glad everything came together, as it was far from a guaranteed outcome.  You deserve a lot of credit for coaching and judgement, and keeping Enoch's spirits up.  And like you mentioned, it was really touch and go.  You both had to race up that hill, with light fading fast, wind blowing, spooky deer dancing around, and get set up and make the shot.  Enoch stayed calm and made it happen, which I could tell was not that easy to do under those conditions. 

I am glad he was pleased with his deer and the hunt.  His first thought was making sure he had hit the deer solidly, which says his ethics are on the right track.  Great job!  

Thanks again Steve.  Spent the day in the garage cleaning and deboning.  I promised this whole deer to go to jerky.  Got 3 freezer bags of whole muscle chunk ready to go and 2 full bags of grind.  One whole little buck stuffed in to 5 gallon freezer bags.

• Like 1