Mog

Best rifle scope regardless of price

Wondering if there is a clear front runner in the scope world for clarity/quality of glass? I would consider swarovski to be the clear front runner for binos, but really don't know about scopes. 

There’s no clear winner.  Most on here study optics to death and you will only get opinions.  My opinion is that the European optics are the best even in rifle scopes like Swarovski, Leica, Zeiss and Schmidt and Bender.  But be cautious.  Even they sell low end products so beware of the model.  I just made up my mind that I’m not going to buy any Leupold or Vortex anymore.  I just ordered a Swarovski from cameraland that he has on special.  I know there are a few good American companies, but I think the only one I will buy is Nightforce.

I think there are more variables for a rifle scope. Turrets, weight, glass, relief, durability, and other subjective choices. The very upper end of the price spectrum would have Tangent Hensoldt, ZCO and a few others. My eyeball has never looked through any of these.  

• Like 1

and then trow in what your going to use it for and if hunting where?

close range long range open terrain woods brush etc etc

1. Tangent Theta

2. Hensoldt

3. Premier (but now discontinued, bought by Tangent Theta)

4. ZCO

5. Schmidt & Bender

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, lancetkenyon said:

1. Tangent Theta

2. Hensoldt

4. ZCO

5. Schmidt & Bender

Only heard of one of these but I’d take recommendations on this from Lance any day...

• Like 4

I would just do what Lance tells me to do.  But i cant afford it so i ask him questions like, whats the best i can get for $400? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hensoldt has a 72mm scope for $12K, kind of like strapping your spotter to your rifle. 😮

12 hours ago, lancetkenyon said:

1. Tangent Theta

2. Hensoldt

4. ZCO

5. Schmidt & Bender

That feeling you get when your pride and joy scopes barely make the top 5 on Lances list......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For a hunting scope my money goes to Leupold every time. They have all the features you need and none you don't. Glass clarity is great, light weight, durable and repeatable. Plus they look like they belong on a hunting rifle and American made. Warrantee is as good as anyone elses too, but chances are you won't become close friends on a first name basis with the folks in the customer service dept. like some other companies. 

• Like 3

My brother built an LRT on a AR10 platform in 30-06. He topped it with a Night Force and is consistantly putting rounds on target, 8" target at 1000 yards.  If I had the money.....Night Force.